TH350 No Engine Braking

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by vwnate1, Dec 1, 2018.

1. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Relax Fellas, it's my Son's 4X4, an odd 197? K5 thing .

454, TH350, ratchet shifter, no matter what gear it's in there's zero engine braking ~ let off the throttle and the engine drops to idle ~ unsafe in a 4X4, worse because my son is fearless and goes down far too steep hills and canyons .

This tranny is freshly rebuilt and supposedly came with a brandy new torque converter .

What to look for ? .

TIA,

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

? No one ? .

Evan maybe ? .

I know some of you alls have TH350 powered vehicles .

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

TTT .

I'm flummoxed here ~ the GM Turbo Hydromatic slush box is the # 1 choice for Hot Rods in the world and no one answers this basic question ? .

4. federale

federale Member

A wild, out there guess. Is the modulator valve good ?

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I don't think so as it shifts perfectly .

federale likes this.
  6. coilover

coilover Member

Nate,
    There is only one band in a 350 and it is applied for engine braking. If no braking it is the band or the servo that activates the band.

7. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

If he manually down shifts is there engine braking then?

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

THANK YOU EVAN ! .

No, there is never any engine braking at all in any gear no matter what .

I'm beginning to think he got snookered on the tranny overhaul ~ he bought this rig with a bad tranny, the DPO ran it low on fluid and frie it ~ it only had first gear .

9. coilover

coilover Member

Now for another head scratcher. My 37 Buick has the poor stepchild of GM overdrive automatics, the 2004R, because it would fit in the cramped space of an "X" braced frame and the 700R4 would not. It eats 2nd gear bands. The original factory band, a second factory band, a super tough Kelvar band and is now on another Kelvar band. The carburetor TV(throttle valve) linkage has been set up from the diagram by a/t guru Art Carr using protractor and angle finder so it should be close. The factory valve body has been replaced with a constant pressure valve body ($337--ouch) from TCI so the only thing the TV cable does is select shift points and no longer involved in band/clutch pressure. Even so, the TV cable is "loosy-goosy" at the adjuster slide so will replace it before next test drive. If it crashes again the frame and floor pan will make room for a 700. All this because my "Sweetie" said she would like to be able to drive the "old car".

10. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Gotta keep Sweetie happy Evan.

11. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Evan,
    While I am sorry for your "slushbox" malaise... it is good to know the TH2004R has not been living up to (your) expectations. I recently added another vehicle to the fleet (yes, I need another vehicle like a fish needs a bicycle), which has a whopping TWO forward speeds (the beautiful Buick Electra on my thread). While I have only driven it maybe 20 miles, I can't help but think how more gears would be better. My first thought was a TH200R4, due to its CBOP bolt pattern, and a better gear spread than the TH700R4 (the 3.06 first gear is deep enough that unless driven aggressively, falls out of the torque range upon entering second gear). Keep us informed. Sorry to hijack Nate's thread. It has been DECADES since I owned anything with a TH350, I have nothing valuable to add.

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Yes, as Evan wisely intoned : If Mama's not happy, no one is going to be happy......#tongue# .

I told my Son your bands comment and his replay is "should it have push start capability ?" . I can't see how it possibly could if there's no engine braking, does the TH350 have a rear pump and thereby push starting capability ? .

TIA,

13. coilover

coilover Member

No rear pumps since the mid 1960's.

14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

So then, no ability to push start ? .

15. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

True. Need a dual range Hydra-Matic for a rear pump.

16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Wait ~ you cannot push start a 1968 Chevy Sedan ? I clearly remember doing so in 1970....... yes, it had a TH350/350 combo under the hood .