Stock Blinker Assembly

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Deve, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Deve

Deve Member

Hi guys! Need some help. I have a 1950 Chevy 1/2 ton but put the steering column from a 1955 1st series truck in it so I could use the dealer installed stock blinker system.

The problem is, I can't seem to figure out how it goes together. There are two holes for screws at about 10 and 2 (o'clock) and a stub on the very top of the column. This does not seem right because the little bezel that covers the wires are in the wrong place that way. Can someone shoot a few pictures around the top of the column so I can see what is going on? I can't imagine someone turning the column, so it MUST be just me.

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Subscribed .

3. coilover

coilover Member

Deve,
    I guess you need a shot of the t/s assembly with the steering wheel removed. I have a 54/55 first column that has t/s and also was an automatic. Buried in my junk somewhere after factory column was replaced with an IDIDIT. Do Have a 55.2 truck with t/s and if you think it's similar I could pull the wheel.

IMG_4683.JPG IMG_4684.JPG

4. Deve

Deve Member

This is the piece that has me scratching my head... Anyone know where exactly it goes?

Attached Files:

5. Deve

Deve Member

I got it figured out, but thanks for the response! It's been about 10 years since I took the column off a yard truck and its now coming together! Thanks again! I am documenting this so others can see it soon.

6. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Deve:

Glad you figured it out, but you need to tell others that it is a cover for the place on the column between the floorboard and the support at the bottom of the dash that hold the column. Wires exit the column through the hole that this thing covers.

By the way, thanks for the help last week.

- Bill

7. Deve

Deve Member

I am writing another CarTech book that will have it in along with everything else involved in restoring a 47-55 Chevy Pickup, but I am also writing it for the site. Just lots going on. Now... how does everyone live with that oblong hole in the steering column outside near the gearbox? It looks alot like a brake adjuster cover hole but I think its wider. Anytime Bill!

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Using thumbnail pictures means they're too small to figure out what the picture is of......

Glad you figure it out but please use normal size photos in the future .

9. coilover

coilover Member

Nate, if you click on the little picture it goes to full size.

10. Greg_H

Greg_H Member

It is wiring cover that clips and screws to the side of the column tube.

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

No, it doesn't ~ the entire thumbnail is only 5MB ! .

12. coilover

coilover Member

It does on mine. I don't know how to show difference using a computer but here is a before click and after click taken with my camera. Note the after covers most of the screen.

Attached Files:

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Interesting......

14. Deve

Deve Member

Yeah, just click on the small one, the big one just pops right up. Here is my solution for that hole in the column near the gearbox. All you do is take a brake adjuster rubber plug and slice out about 1/8" on each end of just the groove part that seals onto the column. Works really well!

Attached Files:

15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

O.K., NOW I get it ~ I need to click on the blue hyperlink, not the tiny thumbnail image .

Boy howdy is your truck gloriously shiny and beautiful ! #smile# .

16. Deve

Deve Member

Thanks Nate. It better be if I am going to write a book on how to restore the whole truck. No pressure or anything.

17. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Well maybe........

As you well know most of my technical help/advice is based on real world experience with average beat up work rigs .
    It's the same with my Tech Tips on older cars, I try to explain what you're most likely to find, not how the FSM make it appear .

Most have no concept on how much more work there is in keeping things original over going the Hot Rod route .

Both are nice .

18. Deve

Deve Member

Your real world expertise has been invaluable to me and those who read the articles you wrote on my website. They get lots of traffic. People really appreciate those who honor those who were there and understand the nuances and shortcuts. I agree. I am not a hot rodder. I use the TF years for the 261, Borg R10/SM319, Rear End, 12v Electricals, and other than that, a few minor mods. No updated gauges, No seat changes, No steering column changes, etc. I like the solid axle front end and chassis. Some things just give these years personality. Chopping, Hacking and re-inventing certain things does take a lot of talent, but not something I would do to this vintage. If it doesn't bolt right up and work perfect, its not happening. Thanks again Nate!

19. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Just remember :

My Tech Advice is free and worth far less than you pay for it #biggrin# .

20. Deve

Deve Member

I get comments all the time.. at least a few times a DAY about how wonderful the resource is and that wouldn't be the case if it weren't for those who are giving of their information and offer their knowledge for the sake of others. That's what it's all about. No money changing hands, free information and no advertisements to muck things up. Thanks Nate for your contributions and Thanks to all who have contributed. If there is something missing from the site that pertains to our beloved trucks, anyone can participate.