Anyone know how to run this thing??

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Bill Hanlon, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Phil, a "non-car guy" friend of mine lost his Dad 2 years ago and is finally getting around to cleaning up his Dad's stuff. Apparently his Dad was somewhat of a car guy, maybe 40+ years ago. Phil gave me a bunch of tune up tools in unknown condition. Most of them I've already discarded as busted or passed on to other friends when they were duplicates of mine.

I've been around electronics since Uncle Sugar educated me on fixing autopilots and heading systems on B-52s in 1966. I know how to run an oscilloscope for general electronic troubleshooting and used then until retiring from Hewlett-Packard last year.

This one has me puzzled.

https://talk.classicparts.com/photos/data/500/medium/scope.jpg
    https://talk.classicparts.com/photos/data/500/medium/DSCF00033.JPG

It seems to work. I can get a nice high voltage trace when connected to my GMC. But I don't understand how to use most of the functions shown on the various switch positions. I understand what the function means, just not how to interpret that function on the screen.

I've searched the web using the Sears number 244.2135 on the label on the rear of the unit and only got a hit on one for sale without the test leads in France.

Any chance one of you has a beast like this or more importantly an instruction manual for it?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

The machine that goes......PING!

3. coilover

coilover Member

Anything that has Penske on it is way newer than any scopes we had. It has a round tube face like an old Heyer scope. That was our first scope and I've heard they were onboard items for flight enginees on multi engine bombers. We later got an Allen Scope with a tailpipe sniffer which my partner was an expert with. A good scope man can diagnose complex troubles by just reading the screen.

4. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Sears Penske Automotive Analyzer manual model 244.2135

Bill

I will ask a friend of mine whom is an Automotive expert. It could be difficult to get hold on the manual as older Penske scopemeters are out of the marked. I`ll get back to you on the subject.

Martinius.

5. Keystoner

Keystoner Member

6. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Thanks for the hint Tom.
    I looked at the patent info and I believe that I am mis-using an alligator clip that I thought was a ground. The patent info references " Additionally, the circuit arrangement of the present invention may include circuit means connectable to the breaker points of the automobile such that the pulse display on the face of the oscilloscope not only gives spark voltage and characteristics but also gives information indicative of the dwell angle of the breaker points. "

I'll try hooking what I thought was a ground lead to the points and see what happens. Let you know in a few days.
    - Bill

7. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Tom pointed me to online patent info on the scope. After reading the patent info, I found that a lead that I thought was a ground should have been connected to the + connector on the coil. Once I moved that lead the scope trace shows a small negative spike right at 34 degrees which is exactly what my stand alone dwell/tach reads.

Two functions down, more to be understood.

8. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

Bill that is way cool, kinda Flash Gordon stuff there....!

9. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

Might be fun to use that to compare the impact of different ignition mods on spark performance - stock vs. performance coils, pertronix ignitor vs. points, different wire sets, standard vs. iridium plugs....

10. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Penske scope

One on Ebay for $300 item - :

11. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Yes, but I don't see a manual with it. Actually, one of my buddies on OldGMCtrucks.com sent me the manual from his Heathkit IO-20 ignition scope. The information on how to run the scope did no good when compared to my Sears scope, but the 13 pages of scope trace interpretation information is very helpful in understanding how to use my scope.

12. Robert Schneider

Robert Schneider Member

13. Robert Schneider

Robert Schneider Member

Sears/Penske ignition scope model no. 244.2135 owners manual/electrical schematic. Bought it new in the late 60's, been in storage about 50 yes. Decided to try and use it and looked online about it. Noticed some people are looking for info on how to use or repair. I have the owner's manual. Not interested in selling unit or manual, but if anyone needs info contact me. Also have owner's manual for Sears Automotive Analyzer, model no. 161.21042

14. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Welcome to our forum Robert.

Thanks for the offer, but I trashed the scope almost two years ago in preparation for our move to the retirement place.

15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Oh, no ~ you tossed it in the trash ?! .

Scopes are very useful to fine tune older engines for peak performance and power/economy .

Plus, just cool of course .

I once had the HUGE rolling SUN scope from an old dealer, I had to let it go for lack of where to keep it out of the weather :oops: .

16. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Same problem and solution that I had Nate.

17. Bradley C

Bradley C Member

Hey Robert, I just purchased a Penske 244-2135 and am in need of a copy of the manual. How might I obtain a copy of the important parts ? Sure would appreciate it. Thanks for your possible helping sir

18. Bradley C

Bradley C Member

My e-mail is partsrep3@aol.com