Truck Flooding?

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by dugger, Feb 26, 2004.

1. dugger

dugger Member

I have a 85 K30 that I recently replaced the bellhousing in. It will start up and run for about 10 minutes and then dies and will not start up again until it has sat for a while. I can't drive it anywhere since it will die after five minutes or so. It seems it is fuel related and it's flooding. The engine and carborator are new, but my one remaining gas tank is rusting out. My other tank already rusted through. Any thoughts on possible causes would be appreciated.

2. oldpickup

oldpickup Member

are you sure it is flooding out or did you possably pinch off the fuel line when you changrd bellhousings causeing it to starve for fuel

3. lowrollin70gmc

lowrollin70gmc Member

The fuel tank sock could be gummed up with crap from the tank and pressure has to be released to get it to clear out, and then it fills up in another few minutes.

I had the same problem in mine, and ended up replacing the distributor with a new HEI from an 85, rebuilt the carb, replaced the fuel pump, radiator and hoses, and put in a new external fuel filter and rerouted the fuel line.

On mine I believe it was rerouting the fuel line, because my mechanic pointed out that the fuel could be getting too hot by being too close to the exhaust manifolds and radiator hoses(it layed on top of them). So I went home and replaced that for like $2 in hose, and then terrorized the town.

Hope it helps.