305/350 carb swap?

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by 84blueboots, Feb 28, 2004.

1. 84blueboots

84blueboots Member

The 305 in my 84 sierra seized,:( so I replaced it with a 350 out of a 79 chevy van. The mechanic set the idle high because it has a habit of dying at a low idle. The carb on the 305 was always smooth as silk. Would it work as a direct swap to put the Rochester carb off of the 305 onto the 350.

Thanks in Advance!

Turner the KS Kid

'84 GMC Sierra Classic
    350 w/ 700R4 OD

2. bigd

bigd Member

Yes it does bolt right on just make sure you install a new base gasket and check all your vac lines for cracks.

3. 84blueboots

84blueboots Member

Sounds easy enough. Do carb bolts need to be torqued at all, or just snugly tight with a socket wrench?

Thanks!

Turner the KS Kid

4. lowrollin70gmc

lowrollin70gmc Member

I just snug mine with a wrench, cause if they break, it sucks. Also, the gasket isn't under a huge amount of pressure to promote leaks, so cranking on the bolts is useless anyways.

Make sure to give pics of the new motor.

5. 84blueboots

84blueboots Member

Thanks! I think I'll pull the truck into the ag. shop at school when I've got all of my class work done and do that switch. Shouldn't take over an hour and a half, should it?

Pics of the 350 wouldn't be anything to look at... It's grimy as they come and just red-necked in there, nothing fancy at all. So long as she runs good, I don't care!

Thanks for your help!

Turner the KS Kid

'84 GMC Sierra Classic