Needing advice on a rear end swap

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Bear Boyle, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Bear Boyle

Bear Boyle Member

Hey there everyone, new to the group and new to working on my 1947 Chevy 3600!

It currently has 8 lugs and while the engine is running great, the rolling is really bad. My friend suggested I swap out the rear end. What's compatible with a 1947 and any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm new to working on cars but my boys (7 year old twins) and I are really enjoying it!
    Thanks in advance.

2. coilover

coilover Member

The rolling has nothing to do with the rear end but with what holds the rear end in position. New shackle kits, spring eye bushings, and TUBULAR shocks should help. If hauling heavy high loads a sway bar (at least 7/8" diameter) is a big help but one has to delete the spare tire rack. Inspect each spring leaf closely for cracks or distortion as springs working at two different rates can get interesting. When my shop was in town it was THE place for after school kids, during holidays, and a just plain break from boredom. Even some girls were car/truck nuts (or maybe boy nuts) because they were well represented. The questions and actions from ages 6-16 will keep one on their toes.

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

The 3/4 ton rear ends were designed for farmers on gravel roads and 45 MPH top speeds. If your plans are to drive it at higher speeds I'd agree that swapping the whole rear axle is a cost effective way to resolve the problem. My '52 GMC 3/4 ton has a late 60s GM car rear axle with 3.55:1 gears. It is happy on the highway at 65 and I've had it in the low 70s. Down side: 5 bolt wheels. In my case no big deal because I also have 70s GM car front spindles with disk brakes.