Installing V8 into 1951 Chevy 1/2 ton

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by penniwinkle, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Volker

Volker Member

my Rear with rollpan

Rear with rollpan

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  2. federale

federale Member

Re:Roll Pan

This is very nice, Volker. Penniwinkle, here is a pic of mine. I hand made it from a length of industrial wireway.

Attached Files:

3. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Rear pans!

Here's a few I picked up from Mar-K's website!

db_fleishour001.jpg

db_provine002.jpg

db_silva001.jpg

db_southward003.jpg

pops004.jpg

schumacher002.jpg

Mar-K parts are made in the USA and are awesome. Go to their website and check out their rear pans! www.mar-k.com

Ken

4. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

looking good

Roger now you should post a video on u tube so we can hear that bad boy.
    enjoy the updates keep them coming
    Robert

5. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

roll pan

there is a cover that fits under the bed on top of the bumper ck patricks/ the truck shop/ lmc trucks/brothers trucks than you can keep the bumper on.
    Robert

6. penniwinkle

penniwinkle Member

Rear Pan/Apron

Thanks for posting all the pics...they all look really good. I think I want to keep my stock rear bumper so maybe I should consider the 'Rear Splash Apron'. Our host sells one starting at abt $130. I'm really looking for something to 'block' or 'fill' all that open space from the top of the bumper to the tailgate. If this rear apron works and looks similiar to my front apron, then its probably what I want.

Thanks again for the responses.
    Roger

7. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

where are you

Hey ROGER
    had to check in to see of any updates on your truck a/c yet??
    hope all is well
    Robert

8. coilover

coilover Member

My metal man doesn't like the squared off unfinished look of most of the rear pans so he extends the rear stake pocket down to the lower edge of the pan and contours the stake pockets back rib to the same contour as the pan. I second any kudos to Mar-K.

Attached Files:

9. penniwinkle

penniwinkle Member

update on my truck

Hi Robert...received your PM. Not many updates on the truck this summer. Even today, am still battling the heat...was 106 yesterday and Sept is about over..the heat should be gone by now. Am still considering an AC system for the truck. I think I should be able to do it for about $700. I have installed those Vintage systems before and should be fairly easy. When I mention $700 to the wife, an unusual facial expression appears on her face....scary...takes my breath away.

I battled a tranny leak on my truck (The turbo 400). I opened it up and saw that the tranny must have had an explosion or something near the rear shaft (some time ago)...some metal caseing missing. So, I found another tranny and swapped it. This one seems to work ok and doesn't leak. It was painted red by the last owner and looked a little freeky...I used some aluminum paint on it and it looks much better. I also purchased a 'tranny adapter' for my floor jack to remove/install the tranny...it was a waste of money. With the adapter on my jack, I could not get the truck high enough to get the tranny under it. So I made an adapter out of Wood and it works fine....about $5 worth of wood vs $75 for the metal adapter.

I did get a gift of a new video camera from the wife so I will try to post a video of the truck soon.

Whats the latest on your truck?
    Roger

10. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

no progress

no progress this year took her out once this year a few laps up and down my street and back in the barn. changed the oil put a new pan gasket and painted the pan thats about it.
    Glad all is well
    Robert

11. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

v8 install

Had to bring back up rogers v8 install

12. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

getting the bug

iam getting the bug to go sbc
    is a 307 close to a 350 how more power if any .
    would a 307 move an ad truck down the road ok

13. ccharr

ccharr Member

Just get 265 if it can be found or ask Robert (mobileortho) about how in install went. He has a great looking engine in his ride.

Charles

14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

SBC Swap

Unless you're rich , the reduced V-8 fuel economy will pi$$ you off .

That being said , there's simply scads of rebuilt or Target (means : heavy duty 4 bolt mains etc.) 350 engines in the Pick-A-Part yards for $350 or so complete , carry out fan to flex plate .

The smart money goes with the automatic overdrive trannies , makes it easier and more fun to drive for most , plus adding AC is a breeze and it won't slow down when the AC compressor cycles like an I6 will .

I even see Corvettes with the batter 350 and fuel injection , those get pretty good fuel mileage and run *perfectly* all the time , cold , hot , AC on/off , loaded empty etc. .

Me , I think since you apparently don't ever drive it now ,the I6 makes more sense but you are paying for it so follow your heart .

15. ccharr

ccharr Member

Just replacing the 216 intake and exhaust on the new 235 will help increase the HP. A Lot. One factor is it has to breath. Things changed a lot when I did that to mine.

I had to drive to Monrovia this morning to pick up a grille for the truck I left @ 7:50am and was back home by 9:40am. ab out 107 round trip. This truck will never Never run as good as my White 2004 Lightening did, no matter what I do to it.

Charles

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  16. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Unless you just have one lying around, I wouldn't do the 305/307 swap. Just get a 350....those really ARE everywhere. No replacement for displacement, right? They are the same size and weight, might as well get more power and parts availability. Find a 700r4 to go behind it, or at least an s10 5 speed....overdrive is wonderful.

17. Barry

Barry Member

Mike what is the angle I am dropping a 265 into a 1951 Chevy 3100