Manifolds and Carb i235

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Q_Denver, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Q_Denver

Q_Denver Member

Hi,

I have a 51 3100 with a i-235. Both the intake and exhaust manifolds are cracked and need replaced...I am taking this as a sign for an upgrade =)

There are lots of options out there but I have narrowed it down to: a single 2 or 4 barrel carb setup and small exhaust headers. I would like to know what suggestions you all have for. 1. Reliability 2. Brand Reputation 3. Overall Experience.

Not looking to boil the ocean just add a few more bhp/torque and make my 51 a bit more drive able.

Thank you,

Attached Files:

2. dorcutt

dorcutt Member

I changed up to the two barrel carb set up several years ago that Tom Langdon sells and have had no issues with it.
    The throttle linkage was a trial and error exercise where it connected to the original pedal link but after making a couple of links it’s been fine.
    Dave

3. coilover

coilover Member

We do not let any vehicle leave our shop anymore with a carburetor on it except for a high point restoration. Everything else gets a FiTech throttle body. One of the last available in kit form was for the 235/261 Chevy but the kit is now available for $800-$900 and worth every penny. Instant starts hot or cold, runs way better, and uses much less gasoline. It is also designed to run on present day alcohol laced gas. For a good read do a search on "FiTech for 261 Chevy I6" and scroll down to "Geronimo Project" FiTech now offers a 2bbl throttle body part #39001 which we have not used yet but would bet it's a gem because the 4bbl units work great. The 2bbl is specifically for 4 and 6 cylinder engines.