54 AD Steering Swap to 49 AD

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by cmkruse, Jun 30, 2019.

1. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Is it possible to change the 49 steering box and column over to the 54 so I can have factory stock turn signal setup. I know I could add an after market turn signal switch but I wold like it to look more original.

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

You'd have to update to a later steering wheel or figure out how to mount a cancel cam on your early one.

3. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Id just use a 54 steering wheel. My trucks a driver (someday) and It doesn't have to be exactly original. I just wondered if it was a clean swap over or if the steering boxes were different.

4. coilover

coilover Member

I don't use mechanical t/s at all anymore since my brain has decayed and I leave them on or they fail to cancel. I use the motorcycle all electric set up which blinks 7 times with a quick push, 11 times with a 1 second push, and 22 times with a 2 second push. Push both buttons and you have 4 way flashers till you cancel them. The momentary push buttons can be anywhere; mine are out of sight on the bottom lip of the dash. Only worked trouble free for 30 years so I can't give a definitive statement on their life span.

5. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

.Hey Evan, That's something I've never heard of before. Where do you get this type set up. Is there an indicator to let you know you have the left or right side working? I need to check this out as it sounds like a great solution to the mechanical stuff.