Looking for an extension cord for Bosch relays

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Bill Hanlon, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I'm trying to troubleshoot an electrical problem around a Bosch type (cube, 5 pin, 30/85/86/87/87a, etc) relay that is buried way up in the dash of my '52. If I could get a meter on the relay pins I could figure it out, but there is no way I can get to it.

I could make one, using the female end with wires that ships with the relay when you buy a new one, but no one sells a male end that I can find. I tried opening up a relay and gutting it to get a male end, but ended up destroying it.

Does anyone make an actual "extension cord" that has a Bosh male 5 pin plug on one end, at least 3 feet of 5 conductor wire and a Bosch female 5 pin plug on the other end ?

Maybe I should go into business making them?

2. e015475

e015475 Member

I'd buy one.

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Turns out there is such a part made, BUT (big but) it is too short for my use and way too expensive.
    NavistarService: Harness, Breakout

I'm working on my 2nd attempt to build one now.

4. e015475

e015475 Member

$179 - Yikes

I'm just finishing up the wiring on my '49 and have relays for the fuel pumps, engine fan, air compressor and a couple others I can't remember, and anticipate some troubleshooting.

I'm no electrician and most of my efforts to troubleshoot relays is to keep changing them until I find one that works.

There's a box of old relays around - I snag them when I go to the self-serve junkyards. Might make a breakout out of one and an old socket.

Would be interested in seeing what you'd come up with -please post results

5. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I knew it wasn't a relay problem (had already changed both of them) but I couldn't get to the relay sockets with a meter to troubleshoot. I made up this 3 foot long "extension cord" for cube relays. The female end is just a standard cube relay socket. Five wires running to the male end, covered with shrink wrap. The male end is five 3/16" crimp-on spade quick disconnects sitting in PC-7 epoxy contained in an old cube relay cover. Works good.

Figured out my problem in just a few minutes once I had this tool. The main power feed for the A/C system should come to one of the relays, but wasn't making it there. Turns out there was a plug that wasn't shown on the schematic that was about 6" upstream of the relay, hiding behind the A/C unit under the dash. It had come loose.

[​IMG]

vwnate1 and RidesWithYah like this.
  6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Glad you found the problem .

I was looking at what you needed and wondering why you didn't just bop on down to the local LKQ Pick-A-Part, European cars are loaded with these relays and the plug/harness' too .