Radiator: Fluid Replacement Steb by Step?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by mockoski, Sep 11, 2019.

1. mockoski

mockoski Member

Dear All, I realize this is a silly questions, but wonder if anyone has a step by step instructions for refilling the radiator fluid.

I have a 53 Chevy 1/2 Ton P/U with a 235.

I need to swap out the thermostat with a high temp one (180 deg) for the heater to work and want to drain the fluid.
    Before I go back and refill, I just want to make sure I am not missing anything.. I haven't done this before, and don't want to screw anything up.

I remember in another car I had, they filled the radiator as the engine is running. Just curious if I would need to have the engine running as I add new fluid into the radiator.

Also, anyone actually drilled 1/8" hole in the thermostat? Never heard this before and looking around on the forums I see people are doing this to avoid an air bubble when refilling the fluid.

Anyway, any advice or tips on how to replace the fluid would be helpful.

Thank you,
    James

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Is the temperature gauge sending unit threaded into the top of the head, near the rear, like my GMC engine? If so, after you refill the system with coolant you should
    a. back the truck up a hill so the rear is higher than the front
    b. while the engine is running, "burp" the cooling system by loosening the sending unit a little, letting trapped air out until only liquid escapes, then re-tighten.

I did a complete flush on my cooling system 2 months ago, using Nate's un-patented system. Use the search, keywords = citric acid and posted by VWNate1.

3. mockoski

mockoski Member

Okay that is an interesting suggestion (yes the send is in the same location). I ready on other posts people drilling a 1/8 hole in the thermostat to release the air...