Transmission swap question

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by dorcutt, Sep 14, 2019.

1. dorcutt

dorcutt Member

Anybody do a 235 engine mate with a 700 OD and how was the project? I currently have a 57 with a 350 automatic and thinking of an upgrade. It appears I already have the adaptor with the 350 AT so that shouldn’t be an issue.

Thanks, Dave

2. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

I think it would be a swap out. The early 4L60E's, have the older small block bellhousing. I have one from a '98 S-10.
    You can purchase a aftermarket controller. I bought the F.A.S.T., unit.
    The computer control units allow you to customise shift points, and torque converter lock-up. Might be handy for a low horse, six.
    Real time warp, however....

Steve.

3. dorcutt

dorcutt Member

Thanks Steve for the response. Im a bit of a novice at this so have a couple of basic questions.

Would I have to change out the starter or will the one in there now work.

Not sure about the T.V. setup for the OD function. How do I do I
    hook it up to the original Rochester carb or should I plan on changing that out as well.

Will I have to modify the drive shaft. The length of both transmissions appear to be pretty close.

In the planing stages at this point. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Neto84 likes this.
  4. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

I'm thinking the starter should be un-affected, since you already have a T-350. The TV cable will require some fabrication, and is a critical adjustment. Not sure about the driveshaft. A 4L60E, would eliminate the TV cable, but, requires the onboard computer. You would also have to fab a throttle position sensor.
    The F.A.S.T. controller is north of $600.
    Speedo hookup will require some thought, also.
    4L60s can be found cheap, but would probably be rebuildable cores. At least thats what I would consider them.
    Also, 2wd versions are harder to find in my area.
    There are other guys on this forum sharper on this than me, for sure. Coilover,...Evan for one.
    I'm trying to imagine in my head this swap. As I said earlier, a time warp.
    Steve.

5. 52wasp

52wasp Member

FYI a TH-700R4 is the same transmission as a 4L60 (non-computerized, uses TV cable). GM standardized transmission naming convention 4 (# of forward speeds) L (longitudinal mount) 60 (6000 pounds GVW). The 4L60E is an electronically controlled unit (no TV cable)

The 200-4R has a better gear spread (the 700R4/4L60/4L60E have a large gap between first and second), and is a popular swap.

Neto84 likes this.
  6. dorcutt

dorcutt Member

Thank you both Steve and Mike, your input is much appreciated.
    Dave