Quick Wiring Question- Heater and Lighter

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Haasman, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Haasman

Haasman Member

Bill- I see, determine exactly what each wire does .... of course. Will do and report back.

2. coilover

coilover Member

The early beds can also have the bed roll light wire run down through the stake pocket. Is the number 4 mystery wire the gas gauge sender wire? It was with the rest of the wires till it split off the loom at the rear of the cab and went up through a grommet in the floor to the sender.

3. Haasman

Haasman Member

sorry for the delay. I live in N.Calif and our power has been turned off several times.

The four wires The four wires in the loom going to the back of the truck I believe are for 1) running lights 2) turn left 3)turn right and 4) brake lights.

The three bed roll wires Black = ground, Red = running lights (glowing) and White=turn signal/brake (bright)

Hopefully these will answer some of the questions from Bill and Evan

4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Which wire or wires in the loom (2 and/or 4) do you plan to connect to the white wire in the left bed roll white wire?

Which wire or wires in the loom (3 and/or 4) do you plan to connect to the white wire in the right bed roll white wire?

5. Haasman

Haasman Member

Thanks for the patience on this. I have been busy labeling wires. I locate each end then use the description from the loom instructions. I have learned quite a bit, of course, by doing this. For one example the white wire in the bundle going to the rear lights goes to the stop light switch. Now I understand why.
    Almost finished.

6. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

So what are the other three wires in the bundle to be used for and what do you plan to connect them to?

My guess (no documentation here) is one will be running lights (which will connect to both sides), one will be left turn/brake and one will be right turn/brake. That would work with the roll lights. Are the other LED lamps also 3 wire (or 4 wire where 1 wire is ground)?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  7. Haasman

Haasman Member

Exactly. The bed roll lights will tie in to the lower left an right tail lights. The other LED tail lights have 4 wires, one being a ground.

My initial question, btw was how to properly connect all these at the back of the truck.

8. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

To quote Hamlet, "there's the rub!"

On either side, the roll light has 3 wires, ground, running light and combined turn/brake light while the tail light has 4 wires. ground, running light, turn light and separate brake light.

9. Haasman

Haasman Member

yes, lol.

I would like all the wiring to be tucked up inside the rear bed post box sections, but would like to be able unplug the connections for say body work or some repair. Not quite sure what connectors I should use or what would be the best way ensuring no water/corrosion issues.

10. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Nothing to lol about. I can't figure out how you are going to connect this up, given the different wiring requirements of the bed roll light and the regular tail light. Please tell me your detailed plan or post a wiring diagram that you plan to use.

I'd still consider using the 4 pin trailer connectors that I posted a picture of in post #7 of this thread. Put some dielectric grease on the pins before you plug them together to keep out moisture and reduce corrosion.

11. Haasman

Haasman Member

Yes, was just looking at a trailer connector for fit underneath the bed corners. That in the end may be the easiest and best way to go.

Question- you had said on post #7 "...hook it up with the connector with 1 exposed pin to the truck and the other connector to your new harness in the rear. That way, when the harness is disconnected you don't have to worry about exposed pins having voltage..."
    I wasn't sure what you were saying with " ...1 exposed pin to the truck..".

12. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

One plug has 1 exposed male contact (metal showing) and 3 female contacts that are down inside the plastic. It pairs with another plug that is the opposite, that is 3 exposed male contacts and 1 female contact down in the plastic. Install the first plug (1 exposed male contact) on the end of the truck harness and the second plug on your new "tail end" harness. If you only have 3 wires that have to connect from the truck harness to the tail end harness, run them through the 3 female contacts on the first plug. That way if the plug comes apart none of the wires with power on them can touch ground, possibly blowing fuses or otherwise letting smoke out of the system. The picture in post #7 is of a plug with 3 exposed male contacts and 1 female contact down inside the plastic. When you buy them, they come mated one of each. You can get them with pigtail wiring on the plug or like these Quick Fix (TM) 4 Pole Flat Car and Trailer Ends Hopkins Wiring 48195

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  13. Haasman

Haasman Member

Yes, understand.

Here is the wiring diagram for the turn signal switch. Bill do the connections look correct?

Turn signal Wiring.jpg

My stop light switch has 3 connectors. I see that one wire is to connect from the light switch's Stop terminal, and another wire from the turn signal. Confused about the third connector pin on the firewall mounted stop light switch.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  14. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Any stop light switch I've ever seen on these old trucks has just two wires. One connects to the battery (hot all the time, maybe through a fuse) and the other either goes directly to the brake lights (if the truck does NOT have turn signals) or to the turn signal switch as shown in your drawing above.

The diagram looks OK, but:
    1. You've said that your taillight assemblies have 4 wires. Assuming one is ground, that leaves 3 wires. Your drawing only shows two wires used (3 when you count ground) of each taillight. What happens to the other wire on each taillight assembly? What are you not going to hook up?

2. Your diagram doesn't show the bedroll lamps. They will work correctly when wired directly to the same side rearsignal&stop, tail and ground wires shown in your diagram.