Ignition switch

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Ed Wells, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Ed Wells

Ed Wells Member

Hi All,

Wishing you all a Happy New Year as I have learned so much from this forum over the years! Thanks to your collective advice I am getting ready to fire up my 1951 ¾ ton for the first time in 10 years.

My question is this: I purchased a wire harness from our host and had a pretty good experience with the installation instructions. But when I got to wiring the ignition switch, I am not quite sure what wires go where.

The truck has a foot starter and is 6 volt with a generator. The engine is a 1949 216.

The directions say

1) Ignition switch (battery terminal) to Headlamp Switch

2) Ignition switch (ignition terminal) to Gas Gauge

3) Ignition switch (ignition terminal) to Coil

I have attached a picture of my ignition switch. Can anyone out there tell me which is the ignition terminal and which is the battery terminal? I am woefully inept in all things electrical.

Thanks -

Ed

Attached Files:

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Funny thing is, with the simplicity of the stock electrical system it really doesn't make any difference which lug on the switch is used for what connection.

RidesWithYah likes this.
  3. Ed Wells

Ed Wells Member

Thanks Bill - Heading to the garage now. Appreciate the help -

Ed

4. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

Hi Ed,
    Congratulations on your progress!
    Have you posted pictures of your ride?
    Would love to see a short video of it running.

:)

5. Ed Wells

Ed Wells Member

Thanks for the congrats! Yes it has been a long but very enjoyable road (I guess the journey is what it is all about). These old trucks are therapy and they don't talk back or ask you to take out the trash. I'll send along some vids very soon now. It's been so long I don't even remember which is the clutch and which the brake LOL