Generator/Alternator Size size and Choice - 1954 3100

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Dean Taunton, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Dean Taunton

Dean Taunton Member

I am looking at installing a PowerGen alternator that look like the original generator on my 1954 3100. It currently has a 10SI alternator so the bracket is not the original. I cannot find any specs on the original generator length. I have seen a few 7" bracksts on line. If that was the original bracket size I assume the generator was only 6". The 6" PowerGen alternator is 75 Amps. The long version is 12 " and 90 Amps. Plenty of room in the engine bay for the long, but it the original generator was only 6" long I may need to use the short. Anyone have info?

2. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

3. Dean Taunton

Dean Taunton Member

My truck is converted to 12V. Thanks

4. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

I get that, I thought you were asking what the size was of the original (6V) generator,
    maybe in hopes that it would look close to stock...
    Are you asking if there's a bracket available that would fit the 12" PowerGen,
    or what info are you looking for?

5. Dean Taunton

Dean Taunton Member

Wanted to know if the original generator was 12" or 6" long so I can locate a correct generator mounting bracket and buy the correct PowerGen alternator...thanks.

6. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

There were apparently two varieties of the original 6V generator, a long and a short.
    The short was 6", the long was 7".
    So if you're trying to get something to match appearance-wise, go with the 6".