Pertronics???

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Chiro, May 30, 2010.

1. Chiro

Chiro Member

Hi guys,

I'm ready to make the conversion to Pertronics ignition. The engine in my '55.1 is a '57 235 with stock distributor. Running the stock 12V generator. Does anybody know the absolute correct part number for the Pertronics ignition module for this engine? Also, what coil do I run? One with the internal resistor or one without? any other tips on the install would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I need that # also for the 53.

3. coilover

coilover Member

There should be a number stamped on the outside of the distributor housing but if not don't worry. Those guys really know their product and will know what you need off the top of their head if my dealings with them are any indication. You might want to call from your cell phone so you can be standing next to the truck with the distributor cap off. They have asked me about rotor dimensions before. Although the instructions will give coil information I'd double check with them while I had them on the phone. My gas compressor, my fork lift and my 37 Buick all have the Pertronix conversion and been trouble free.

4. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

pertronix ignitor

Pertronix Ignitor;

Product number Pertronix 1167 for 50-54 1/2 t. model chevy truck.
    Product number Pertronix 1168 for 55 model chevy 1/2 t.truck and newer.

Be kind to let me know how it works in your engine.

Regards Martinius.

5. coilover

coilover Member

My catalog shows the #1167 is for 41-53 and the #1168 is for 54-62. They offer it in 6v and 12v negative ground as well as 6 & 12v positive ground. Also says that it works with most point coils. Price in my 2005 catalog is 84.57 for #1167 and $70.79 for #1168.

6. Keystoner

Keystoner Member

part numbers

The 1168 series fits the 216 & 235
    with the new style distributor/ taller dist. cap.

1954-1962 Chevy 6 with standard single point ignition,
    except with dist. # 1112314

1168n6 (negative ground 6 volt)
    1168p6 (positive ground 6 volt)
    1168n12 (negative ground 12 volt)
    1168p12 (positive ground 12 volt)

The 1167 series fits the 216 & 235
    with the old style distributor/ shorter dist cap.

Up to 1953

1167n6
    1167p6
    1167n12
    1167p12

I'm using the 1168n6. It was easy to install and makes a world of difference.
    Be sure to shop around because prices vary.

-Tom

Neto84 likes this.
  7. ccharr

ccharr Member

Spark plug should also be autolite-303, Flame thrower is the coil, can not remember the #'s of the unit but I have had them in for over 3yrs. Hope this helps.

8. 51 HHR

51 HHR Member

shop around

shop around where with who ?
    Bill

9. Keystoner

Keystoner Member

Flaps

51 HHR says...... shop around where with who ?

Try starting with your FLAPS. :eek:
    That's where I purchased mine.

If you don't have any in New Jersey, then try a google search
    There are 100's of places online ready and willing to take your money.

10. Zig

Zig Member

Are ya there yet?

How's the Petronics thing going, Andy? In about a week I'll be putting gaskets on my 228 and hooking the vitals back up. I'll be going 12 volt and I am making my dad a part of it. (I know he wouldn't have it any other way. ;) )
    This just sounds like it makes sense, and I like the sound of that!
    Keep us up to date, okay?
    Best of luck!

11. Zig

Zig Member

Clarification

No, no, NO!
    I'll be going 12 volt and I am making my dad a part of it. (I know he wouldn't have it any other way. )

I just wanted you to know, my dad will NOT be part of my truck! (He will be helping me though... :p ...and he is happy to be needed, okay? :D)

12. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Ignitor 1168

Hey Tom

Installed the original Pertronix ignitor and it did `nt work to well in the old Delco setup/235 engine. I just could not get it right. On the package it says 1168 . The transistor module says carb E.O D-57 2 .Nothing else is mentioned. I wanted to ask you how i can find out if i got the right model ignitor for the trucks 12 v. install with neg ground ?

Friendly regards Martinius.

Neto84 likes this.
  13. Thunder54

Thunder54 Member

Pertronix part #1168

Andy,

I have a 1956 235 in my 54 3100. Set up 12V, with a GM alternator (not on Nate's list of desirables) and a Standard UC 15 resistor type coil (for 12V).

I installed a pertronix part number 1168 in June of 2006 and have enjoyed trouble free touring in my old truck since. 2 weekends ago, I pulled Thunder out of the gararge and drove down IH10 to Lake Chrles, LA. About 110 miles round trip.

I got caught with a seized set of ignition points once after my build, then went to pertronixs. The purists tell me that this one item makes my truck a certifiable street rod instead of a semi-restored classic.

I say do it, you will not regret it.

Enjoy

Jim

Attached Files:

Neto84 likes this.
  14. Keystoner

Keystoner Member

Pertronix problem

Martinius,

You said it didn't work too well, what problems were you having.
    Was everything OK before the pertronix.
    Did you recheck the timing after the install.
    Do you have a 12 volt coil.

What is the number on the distributor breaker plate, 111????

CARB EO D-57-2 is government info only.
    California Air Resources Board
    Executive Order #D-57-2

When you removed the ignitor from the box, was there a white sticker attached to the side of it.

The sitcker on my 1168N6 was, 04AB-6vn.

15. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Pertronix install

Installed it and the engine whas reacting with unregulair tact with no power really. It reacted Like you notice when it is `nt running with the right timing setup.We did not checked the timing again. And yes it uses an new high performance 12 volt coil from Pertronix to and new plugwires (a solid type).There is no sticker on the box as i can read.
    I`ll check the breaker plate again later, but i remember giving the workshop all the information about the numbers on the excisting braker plate.

After failure attempt i changed again to the old breakerpoint setup and now the engine runs great but i should like to improve it even more.

Sinc. Martinius.
    :confused:

16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Proper Installation

there's the trouble : you didn't re set the timing , it changes when you install the Ignitor .

The coil needed & used depends on the voltage at the hot side of the coil ~ 6 volts needs a 1.6 Ohm coil .

12 volt systems occasionally have 7 ~ 9 volts at the hot side of the coil , these require a non ballasted coil of 1.6 Ohms .

If you find a full 12 volts to the coil , use a 3 Ohm coil , order up the Epoxy filled one for a 1972 VW Beetle or buy one from Pertronix .

Failure to match the correct coil impedance is the cause of 90 % of all Pertronix failures . the other 10 % is not paying attention to the polarity .

This simple modification is *SO* great , it should (maybe) be mandatory .

' Purists ' are mostly idiots , i should know as I am one when it suits me :rolleyes: .

skalywag likes this.
  17. Keystoner

Keystoner Member

Pertronix numbers

Martinius,

I did a poor job explaining the sticker. The sticker should be on the ignitor itself and not the box.

Don't give up on the pertronix.
    Try reinstalling the ignitor again and make sure you set the timing.

Then, if the engine runs rough, try this...

Remove the red ignitor wire from the coil positive terminal. Connect a jumper wire from the positive side of the battery directly to the red ignitor wire. If the engine runs well, you may have a low voltage problem. This is just a test and not intended for permanent installation.

18. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Pertronix coil

Thanks Nate and Tom for the good advices.
    I am shore the Pertronix coil i have installed is the 3 ohm version and it gives about 40000 available volts. I removed the porcelin resistor .

Is that combination the right one (Ignitor & 3 ohm high performance coil). The installation instructions do have a chart wich says use 3 Ohm coils 4 & 6 cyl. normal aplcations /remove resistor.

Martinius.:confused:

19. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

It sounds like you are on the right track , now go back and set the ignition timing either static or dynamic below 600 RPM's to ball on pointer dead nuts , clean the ball bearing and draw a circle around it with a lumber crayon to increase it's visability .

skalywag likes this.
  20. skalywag

skalywag Member

Is there a decent set of spark plug wires that properly fit a 235 Chevy? I have recently replaced my fried Pertronix Ignitor (from 10 years ago) after being stranded in the boodocks (thanx AAA).
    I had been using solid core wires like original (as per our sponsor offered many years ago) and unbeknownst-to-me that was not a good idea. I had a 3 ohm Mallory oil coil that was cooked also. So I went an installed the new generation Igniter that no longer uses the magnetic rotor (now just a relucter I guess) with a new Pertronix 3 ohm epoxy coil and their new 7 mm carbon core spark plug wire set.
    She runs very fine again, but the wire set seems to be for another engine like a Buick or something by the way they don't fit. Is it a good idea to trim these myself? Or should I look somewhere for a better fitting set?
    Any tips welcome and as always, thanks.