1953 GMC 1/2 ton longbed torque tube

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by GMC downunder, Jan 3, 2020.

1. GMC downunder

GMC downunder Member

Good morning all
    I am new to this forum and have a 1953 GMC 1/2 ton pickup longbed 4 speed. As it is a longbed it has an extension shaft between the torque tube and the gearbox. At the back of the gearbox is another universal-joint and a slip yoke with 17 splines attached to the box itself. I can find no information on this.

Does anyone have any experience on removing this yoke from the box? It has two c-clips which I have removed but the universal retainers hit the casing and will not allow the yoke to come out.

It appears to have had a weld repair in situ and I am trying to get it out to replace. The next issue will be finding one!
    Thanks, Glenn

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

GMC downunder likes this.
  3. GMC downunder

GMC downunder Member

Thanks Bill that is extremely helpful. I am trying to remove the front set at the gearbox however mine appears to be welded on and not correct. My rear universal yokes at the torque tube are identical to the diagram and it appears the front set at the gearbox should be the same with a bolt in yoke - 4 yokes in total. The front set currently has an oversized universal and held in with two wire c clips with welds around the universal sleeves. I may need to grind off the rear yoke to get to the center lock bolt to remove the front trunnion yoke at the gearbox to replace them with the bolt on universal trunnion and universal.

I am hoping to remove both yokes as they have welded repairs and are badly scored.

Cheers, Glenn

4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Parts book shows same part number for both U joints.

5. GMC downunder

GMC downunder Member

Can anyone help with where I can source the front and rear yoke for the 1/2 ton 4 speed? The rear is common with the 3 speed. I have no hope getting one in Australia and have tried many trans and used parts/wreckers in the US and Canada.
    The original part numbers are 3665768 and 3686323
    I have a CA shipping address. Thanks all. Glenn

6. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Glenn:
    I don't have the U Joints you are looking for, but I'm willing to look elsewhere. I'm trying to understand how many of each you need. The way I read the Master Parts Book, your 102 would have two 3665768 and two 3686323. Reference the picture in the 4th post above as well as these pictures. The red marks below are the parts you have expressed interest in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. GMC downunder

GMC downunder Member

Hi Bill
    Thank you again. My understanding is the same - unfortunately mine has been replaced with incorrect yokes. I have purchased one good rear yoke. I need 2 of the front (3665768) and one rear (3686323). Best wishes, Glenn

8. GMC downunder

GMC downunder Member

Hi Bill
    I should mention Steve at Mongos Garage was very helpful and there is some hope there - however he is not back until February. Kind regards, Glenn

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

? Is it fixed yet ? .

This sort of problem is why I love old discarded drivelines : they're chock full of unobtanium bits and bobs like this that no one ever wants to touch to save because they're filthy dirty .

Joe, A.K.A. :Mothertrucker here and on E-Bay will have what you need as should Evan in Plano TEXAS because he yanks out original drivelines to make Hot Rods....

10. GMC downunder

GMC downunder Member

11. GMC downunder

GMC downunder Member

Still working on it. I tried Joe and got a 3.55 pinion from him for the diff but he did not have the yokes.

Thanks for the lead. I will try Evan too.

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Once you have the correct part #'s it should be easier to find the yokes on the Bay Of E......

Somewhere out there is an old farm rig in long grass just waiting .

I'm not sharp on GMC's at all but I dimply recall that Torque Tube you're dealing with was also used on 3/4 & 1 ton chassis.....

13. stanman

stanman Member

vwnate1 likes this.
  14. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

My GMC Master Parts Book shows only one part number for 18.0170 in a 1/2 ton '53 half ton (102-22) with no comments about which of the 3 transmissions that were available. So I assume (that word will get you into trouble) that the same piece was used on 3 speed, 4 speed and Hydra-Matic trannies. It is noted in the book as "7 9/16" long" and was used from 1950 through at least 1953 (I don't have 54 books, the last year of the torque tube.).

vwnate1 likes this.