GMC 305 V6 Hard to find parts??

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by cssreb, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Rpeck

Rpeck Member

Hi I’m new here and I’m starting what I think will be a 3 year build, mainly due to the cost.
    I have a 1967 GMC C20 Fleetside that has a running 305V-6 and a 2spd powerglide transmission, it all works but will need complete rebuild.
    My Plans for the truck is to do a complete off frame restoration and keep as much of it as I can stock on outside and to make it a safe and comfortable puller for a travel trailer and an everyday driver with some git up and go.
    My dilemma is to keep the 305 V6 which is fairly rare and that I know nothing about its performance or to swap it with a 454 BBC and TH400 I have from a 1989 GMC rust bucket. This motor and transmission also run but will need rebuilt.

2. jim sr

jim sr Member

hey cssreb, jim sr here if you decide to keep the e305 v6 engine I have plenty of extra parts from the one we built a year ago if your interested you can email me at bioma1@juno.com or call me at 832-727-4185 thanks p.s. most of the engine parts I have has been chrome plated

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  3. docsly

docsly Member

finding parts 305 v6

I have a 65 gmc 1500 with a 305E . when looking for engine parts the letter after the eng size may come into play they are A thru E C being popular it is so noted on veh plate rivited to dr. side kick plate. the parts are actually easier to find today than ten years ago. EBAY has a large amount of parts sevral thousand, LMC truck parts deals mainly in old trucks chev and GMC and they have brand new parts to even up grade your truck. Rock auto has also been a good source, but word of caution these trucks have a hardy engine and great pulling power, but they are old school thy don't last well if run at high speed remmber they were built for a time when 55mph was the highest speed. I have had my truck since the beginning and it has been all over the place, with almost no problem. my engine is original and never been apart

4. smz1919

smz1919 Member

have you tried www.rockauto.com

5. smz1919

smz1919 Member

www.rockauto.com
    cheap prices

6. RStinkbug

RStinkbug Member

a 1963 with 305e

we have a 3/4 ton pick up with a 305E motor can sed pic if u want

7. Jason buckholt

Jason buckholt Member

Hey I have a 305e v6 and it runs. I just got it a few days ago in a 1967 I bought. It runs good but don't know much else besides that. I'm looking to sell it to put a inline 6 in. If anyone is interested then please let me know. It will be a shame to see it go to waste. My email is buckholt82@gmail.com and number is 979 204 5927 jason

8. 66 Truck Drive

66 Truck Drive Member

I had a full paragraph of reasons to keep the V6 but I'll shorten it. lol
    Keep the V6. They are bullet proof and Well earned their reputation in the industrial world. These engines have been well know to last 200,000+ no problem. Especially when taken care of.
    In my opinion...putting a Chevy small block in a GMC truck that has a good running GMC motor is as bad as putting a ford motor in a chevy.

9. Jason buckholt

Jason buckholt Member

Well I can't find a clutch for it. And with out a clutch I can't go very far lol. Any help would be very helpful and I sure in the hell will keep it!!

10. 66 Truck Drive

66 Truck Drive Member

11. 66 Truck Drive

66 Truck Drive Member

12. 66 Truck Drive

66 Truck Drive Member

13. Jason buckholt

Jason buckholt Member

Appreciate it. I'll check it out this evening.

14. Vinny luciano

Vinny luciano Member

15. Vinny luciano

Vinny luciano Member

Just found this forum had to share mine before I put it up 4 sale at the car show this weekend. 1964 GMC C10 with a 351c V6 engine ( not a type O ) took me forever to find a new starter for it. Less than 60k miles on it, 4spd with the granny gear. I had a lot of plans for this truck but I really don't have the heart to tear it apart being all original I'm the 3rd owner. 1st owner used it as a farm truck till he passed away and left it to his nephew the 2nd owner purrs like a kitten, I'll change that going to put dual exhaust cherry bombs on it b4 show to piss off my nosey neighbors. From what I found out about the 351c between late 63 to 65 they put these engines in the shorty's to make them into tow trucks the engines were usually in grain trucks and school buses. Have a good day

16. Speedee65

Speedee65 Member

I am in the process of rebuilding my 305 E motor and essentially got a kit from Engine Parts Warehouse. rings, bearing (cam, rods, mains) oil pump, timing kit, cam, lifters, oil pump, full gasket set. - Talk to Rick or Gene - 800-241-6397
    Great guys to deal with.

17. Vinny luciano

Vinny luciano Member

Well I never had a chance to get to the car show and put my truck up for sale. Morning of the show it wouldn't start took me about 6 hours to go through and find out why it had no power. Turned out it was an exposed wire grounding out to voltage regulator. When I got it started finally started making a horrible banging sound like the fan is hitting something. Sounded like it was coming from the water pump. Replaced it didn't fix problem at all turns out it maybe the harmonic balancer everytime I start it and it runs I step on the gas and causes a horrific vibration of the truck. I started looking for an aftermarket replacement. As the search goes I can't seem to find an identical one like mine. Any Way Does Anyone Know Of where I Might Be Able To find one? Or if you might know if I can use a replacement one from another engine from the the late 60's early 70's. I swear everytime I get it running right it knows when putting it up for sale and does everything possible so it can't go anywhere, damn thing has to be related to Christine in some way. any help would be appreciated have a good day and thank you

18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

@vinny ;

? Didja ever get this sorted out ? .

For old wobbly / bad / slipped harmonic balancers try The Damper Dude ~ he fixed one on a 1949 bathtub Nash for me a while back, it's still working fine .

19. buchomm

buchomm Member

I am new on here, but I just pulled a 305 V6 with an automatic powerglide out of my 66 GMC. It was running, but leaking out of the oil pan. I also have a whole gasket kit. I have decided to do a LS swap instead of putting the old motor back in. It is in southern Oklahoma if you are interested. Looking to just get a few hundred for it. Please email me if you have any questions. buchomm@gmail.com

Matt