1950 Chevy 3600 Pickup

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Peter W Brooks, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Peter W Brooks

Peter W Brooks Member

I was just delivered yesterday a 1950 chevy 3600. Its all there and for now I want to keep it stock. I'm going to need a lot of help so I hope there's a lot to be had. It looks to be in real good shape but have to do the brakes and electrical system and get the engine start. Is there any suggestions out there. The best Parts supplier? I'm looking at Brotherstrucks.com right now because they're local but fairly expensive. Other than Classic parts do you have any other suggestions. Right now I'm looking for rear leaf springs. The ones I have one is busted so I need two new ones. I measure 45in long and 2in wide. Its a single Leaf which is odd but I can't find any plus the frame brackets to mount them to the frame. They are busted off. Hope you all can Help!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Most likely that single leaf rear spring was put on just to hold the rear axle in place for the sale to you. Are the springs not attached to the frame at all?

3. Peter W Brooks

Peter W Brooks Member

I miss spoke on the frame brackets. They were for the shocks. There are no shocks on the rear. The leaf spring are mounted at both ends and look like they are stock. They look as old as the rest of the truck frame. I will take pictures later and post.

4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

5. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

6. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Try the truck shop in orange ca more inventory a little cheaper in prices
    Looks like a great foundation to start with .

Peter W Brooks likes this.
  7. Peter W Brooks

Peter W Brooks Member

Thank you, That really help. I also Have another Question. Why doesn't my 216 have an oil filter. Should it and can i install one.

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Hi Peter ~

Nice truck .

Buy an assembly manual as it shows how everything goes to - gether and is very helpful as you're tinkering .

Yes, the 216 needs an oil filter, on these engines it's a by pass typ yet still does a good job of keeping things clean .

For now, get it running by adjusting the valves, replacing the spark plugs ans filing / replacing the ignition points and setting the timing to the ball and pointer, look through older posts, all this is covered in incredible detail .

I'd suggest buying the assembly and factory shop manuals, they'll both be very helpful .

I'm getting old but I thought the 3600 series trucks came with a 235 CID Babbitt pounder engine .

You'll need a set of springs, the single leaf was added to lower your truck, plenty of good used springs out there discarded by Hot Rodders .

Pretty much any parts you need will be cheaply avaialable for Hot Rodders and the PO-mona swap meet, once you know what parts you need make a cardboard sign and hang it on your back, be ready with paper & as you'll be over whelmed with folks begging yo to take their old unwanted stock parts away .

9. Peter W Brooks

Peter W Brooks Member

You Guys are awesome. I got the engine running with just an oil change and new plugs. I got the rear springs and installed them and now I'm doing a brake job. I should be driving it sometime this summer. Another question The rims I believe are split rim with a 17 in diameter plus a 1 in ring outside that which makes it 19 in. It has a 4in backset and the overall height is 32 in. My dilemma is i'm buying 16 in solid rims to keep it close to original. It has a 4 in backset also but being 1 in smaller rim will the steering strut get in the way or the tire get in the way of the steering strut. Both the Truck Shop in Orange and Brothers in Corona have been very helpful. Thanks for all your input, it is much appreciated

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I don't know the full answer but if you get -one- 16" wheel and test fit it, you'll have your answer .

IIRC, your primary interference point will be the tie rod ends .

Maybe Evan knows ? .

11. Peter W Brooks

Peter W Brooks Member

Thanks Nate, That is a plan. I hope to find one near by so I don't have to buy one.

12. Peter W Brooks

Peter W Brooks Member

Well I found out I need a 3 inch back set on my rims I tried a 4 inch and the knuckle runs in to the rim when I bolt it up. Any suggestions? I would like to stay as stock as possible. The existing rims are 17 inch with a 3 1/4 in back set. They are split rims and I'm not interested in reusing them.

13. Peter W Brooks

Peter W Brooks Member

Does anyone know where to get 16 x 6 wheels 8 Lugs 6.5 in pattern with a 3 INCH backset?? I have exhausted my search.