OUTER RUBBER WINDOW SEALS

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Dan Duthu, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Dan Duthu

Dan Duthu Member

Hello, old Chevy truck lovers! New member here working on a recently acquired '49. If anyone has advice on installing OUTER RUBBER WINDOW SEALS, please share any info you may have on the subject. Dan

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

First rule (which the guy that installed my windshield didn't know) is "If you buy a deluxe seal make sure you install the deluxe stainless trim with it."

vwnate1 likes this.
  3. e015475

e015475 Member

If you look at Precision Rubber's website, prp.com, there's a link posted for some youtube videos that show how to install the glass and rubber in the AD trucks.

FWIW I managed to get the front window and stainless trim installed (the Deluxe trim for the windsheild Bill mentioned) but it didn't fit right. The stainless repro trim's tang is a little too long to let it seat into the rubber so parts of the trim sat proud of the rubber. I finally gave up and took it to a glass shop, and for $100 they took the glass out, trimmed the stainless trim and reinstalled it. For $200 I probably could have had them do it from the get-go - it would have been money well spent

vwnate1 likes this.
  4. Dan Duthu

Dan Duthu Member

Bill, thanks for the comment. Actually, just discovered the correct seal in the pile of parts sent by Classic Parts. Will work on forgiving myself for not seeing that before nearly destroying a very similar-looking seal in the same shipment...and spending a couple hours fighting & cursing to get it in. The correct seal jumped right in the track. Have no idea where that "incorrect" seal goes. It was in the same package as an inner felt strip. Most of the parts are not accompanied by instructions. Got a long way to go replacing every part on both doors. Looking forward to countless more challenges the previous owners left for me. Thanks again!

vwnate1 likes this.
  5. Dan Duthu

Dan Duthu Member

e015475: Thanks for your input! Haven't yet installed new chrome framed glass. :(...It should all come together, right? Will definitely check that website for other good info.

vwnate1 likes this.
  6. Fifthchild

Fifthchild Member

If you haven't already, check out Ol' Chebby's sticky post at the top of this forum "How to assemble an AD", tons of great info with pics. Will probably answer a lot of your questions...sure did mine.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    vwnate1 likes this.