MIG Welding...your opinions

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by greenizgd, Oct 20, 2003.

1. greenizgd

greenizgd Member

Hi,
    My dad and I are looking into getting a mig welder. So far, after doing some research, we decided that the Millermatic 135 would work out best for us. We figure that for the minor welding and facricating, the 110v will be just right.
    When we first started looking, it was either between the Lincoln SP-135 plus and the Millermatic 135. We were told the Millermatic was a better quality welder, and we have friends with Miller welders, so we went with their opinions. Has anyone had any experience with any of these welders and would like to give me some opinions.

A question I have about the Mig welders...I am just kind of starting to learn about them:
    The millermatics amperage range is from 30-135 amps. Now, at first I thought that you adjusted the power of the welder by adjusting the amperage, but after looking at the spec sheet, the miller has a voltage knob, not a amperage knob. Can someone explain to me how this works...this is kind of confusing me.

Also, from what i have heard, welding with gas is much better than with the flux cored. The bottle either can be filled with straight argon or with a mix of argon/CO2. Can someone explain the difference in welding with the straight or mixed?

Thanks for all the help

2. rc

rc Member

110v welders are for light duty welding.220v welders are needed for heavier penetration ie 3/16 to 1/4 with shielding gas. i have a 135a lincoln and they state metals up to about 1/4 can be welded with flux core only. i wouldnt want to use flux core, its nasty. i use mixed gas, it welds nice. but, i also have an ac crackerbox lincoln for heavier fabrication. good luck!

3. 1973gmc

1973gmc Guest

I use Mig welders at work everyday, we have about 8 Miller 250's and a 185, also we have a Lincoln 250 i think. same size anyway. I find the Miller's are better machines and can handle more Production time. I personally use the 185 cause I don't do as much Production as the regular welder's, I make the Prototypes and stuff, so My welder doesn't take as much abuse. Anyhow , the 135 you bought should be fine for light stuff, all we do at work is light stuff too, but all day and night , so it needs to be able to keep up. We use the gas co2 mixture, and it works great. All ours have voltage knobs as well as wire speed control. I never took any lessons or nothing, just practice on some scrap metal, til you feel confident in trying the body panels of your truck. I find the higher the voltage , the easier it is to weld, but you got to be careful not to burn through the material your welding, as well making sure you are penetrating into the material at the same time, sometimes it looks like a nice weld, but it just breaks off, cause it isn't penetrated. Just practice.