New fuel pumps going bad

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by Kevin Murphy, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Kevin Murphy

Kevin Murphy Member

New member here. My son in law bought a project truck. An 87 Chevy 4x4. Has not run since 2014. Installed 2 new fuel tanks, sending units, new selector valve , new fuel hose from tank to selector valve. Put a throttle body kit on it. Only doing the passenger side right now. The truck started just fine and we had a beer. The next week end we wanted to tune it up. So new plugs, wire, cap and rotor. Thinking this is going to make it run better since plugs we terrible and no telling how long it’s been since all were changed. Went to start it up and no fuel coming from the nozzles. We listen to see if we hear the pump run but don’t. We get power to relay and power to pump. So drop the tank and pull the pump. Ran a wire to pump and it just clicks. So we have the other new pump and we tested it and it runs so we figured the one we installed was defective and we installed the second pump. Left the tank on a jack stand ( to see if it works before installing). The truck started fine and ran great. So we installed the tank. Decided to remove the rear drums to replace brakes. And wit for the day. He started the truck 2 days later just to let her run. Ran the truck the next day just to hear it, excited that first stage are coming along good except for pump issue. I go over yesterday and we are having a beer and going to adjust the timing so we go to start it and low and behold..... no start, no fuel from the injector nozzles. WTH? So confused right now and open to any input or suggestions. Sorry this was long but figured I would give a history of what has been done.