Frame differences

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by jayz63, Jul 16, 2020.

1. jayz63

jayz63 Member

Hello everyone. Can I get some information on frames. Are all 1947-1953/54 frames for 1/2 ton AD trucks the same with the exception of shock mounts opposed to lever action shocks? Thank you.

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

No ;

The 1954.2 frame is different because the box is different .

I no longer remember the details but a friend went through this on his 1954.2 thirty years ago .

The good thing is : used frames abound and are cheap and HAVE NO V.I.N. so once you get a good one, before anything else have the V.I.N. you already have stamped or engraved into the left upper frame rail near the steering box, then measure it ($5 says it's bent), have it straightened then replace the loose cross member rivets then (and only then) have it de rusted / bead / sand / vapor blasted and so on ....

3. jayz63

jayz63 Member

Awesome thanks. So 1947-1953 are all the same?

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

There were minor changes, I'm sure Evan or Joe will know better than I can remember .

Give it a few days, they'll prolly respond .

5. e015475

e015475 Member

GMC frames have a different front cross-member than the Chevy, if that makes any difference.

6. Pickup man

Pickup man Member

Hey Guys. I'm new to this forum but I have a 1952 Chevy short bed frame for sale if you know anyone interested. Thanks

7. coilover

coilover Member

The basic frame is the same 47-53 and as Nate mentioned, a few tweaks were done during the seven year run. Shock mounts, spare tire brackets, maybe(?) the angle of the rear engine mount, and the rear cab mounts are a few that come to mind but you can definitely use a 53 frame under a 47 and visa-versa. Anyone that can tell a Phillips from a flat blade screwdriver can handle the differences.

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE : 'TELL THE DIFFERENCE " :

Well duh ;

The phillips screwdriver is the one that silently ruins the new upholstery when you leave it in your back pocket and take a test drive.....