New Wheels & tires

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by GLRnTX, Mar 28, 2020.

1. GLRnTX

GLRnTX Member

I know what happens when I ask for an Opinion, so here goes...

I am looking to replace my old bias-ply tires.

1. Is there a compelling reason to switch to radials for a truck that will seldom see a highway?
    2. I would like to switch to tubeless, but again... opinions?
    3. If I do switch to tubeless, do I need new wheels?
    4. I want to stay with original look (no Custom wheels), so who is the best source? [I have enough paint left to cover 5 wheels]
    5. I am thinking whitewalls for a cooler look. Is Coker worth the inflated price?
    6. Is there anything I have forgotten?

I haven't been on forum since I finished my truck 10 years ago. Other projects.

Thanks guys,

Greg

2. GLRnTX

GLRnTX Member

OK, maybe my opening statement scared away all opinions??

3. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

4. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

My truck had 15", stock wheels when I bought it. I think they are still around here somewhere. Anyway, I remember they all had inner tubes, and the center section of the wheels were riveted to the rim portion. Not welded. Therefore the need for tubes.
    I also remember as a young kid, my uncle had a pickup with the same wheels, and drilled the rivets out, reversed the rims and had them welded. Kind of a poor mans, old school way to get deep dish looking wheels. This would have been probably 1967-68.

Steve.

Lakeroadster likes this.
  5. GLRnTX

GLRnTX Member

I have decided to go with radials, but now I am having trouble finding new wheels. My originals are 15". What do I need to look for in a new wheel to accommodate the radial tires? I can't believe this is so difficult. Surely someone else has been down this path??

6. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Have you looked at Aftermarket Wheels | Replica Wheels | Wheel Vintiques®

I knocked the centers out of some Corvette Rally Wheels and relocated them to get the tires centered just right on a '72 Nova. Another "old school" trick... and when possible yields a much better method than using spacers or shortening the width of the rear axle.

1972 Nova.JPG

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  7. GLRnTX

GLRnTX Member

Maybe I am overcomplicating this or maybe I am not stating it clearly. I confess to being totally ignorant when it comes to tires. I refer back to my original post:
    3. If I switch to tubeless, do I need new wheels?
    4. I want to stay with original look (no Custom wheels), so who is the best source? [I have enough paint left to cover 5 wheels]

and finally, I am including a photo of my current wheels and tires. The tires clearly show the size to be 6.50 - 16, but the wheel measures almost 17" from inside rim to inside rim. What size to I really have? I believe them to be original.

and last, what size radial tire do I need assuming I can use my original wheels?

I'm so confused... Wheel Size?.jpg Tire size.jpg Original wheel.jpg

8. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

You don't measure from the flange of the wheel like you are. You measure from the bead just behind the flange. And you measure using a really big set of calipers on the flange where the tire touches it. Or measure the flange with a tape measure and divide by 3.14. Both of these would require dismounting the tire.

OR ..

Just believe that a 16" tire would flop around on a 15" wheel and wouldn't stretch far enough to fit on a 17.5" wheel.

I'm running 215x85 16" tires on my 3/4 ton GMC. They are 31" tall. If you drive your truck at highway speeds I would recommend tires this size.

I don't know the answer to your tubeless tire on an old rim question. Mine came to me with later model 16x7 wheels.

9. GLRnTX

GLRnTX Member

Thanks Bill, but from what I read you don't have the same size wheel as mine so that size tire would not work for me? Right?

10. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

My 215x85 16" tires mount properly on my 16" aftermarket wheels with 7" width. Specs for this tire calls for 5.5" to 7" wide rims.

Assuming your rims are stock, they are 16 x 4.50K Kelsey Hays type wheels. The 4.50" width of these rims would be too narrow to properly mount the 215x85 tires I'm using or the next smaller 205x85 tires. They make a 195x85 16" tire, but the rim size calculator web sites that I have looked at don't cover these narrow tires.

11. GLRnTX

GLRnTX Member

Diamondback Tires has told me that I need 225/75/16 tires. I like the look of their 3 1/4" white wall. I do not currently have a spare, so I will need to find a wheel that is a match to my originals. This has NOT been an easy task. I still cannot locate a match except on eBay as a used wheel.

Anyone have anything else to add to the discussion?

Greg

12. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Did you ask Diamondback what rim widths are acceptable for their 225/75/16 tires?

13. GLRnTX

GLRnTX Member

I just showed them the photo where it says 6.50 - 16.

14. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I'd ask the question "What is the minimum and maximum rim width for your 225/75/16 tires"

15. GLRnTX

GLRnTX Member

Copy that.