Wiring harness suggestions

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Candy51, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Candy51

Candy51 Member

I recently picked up a 1951 Chevy 3100 to fix up. I figured rewiring would be the best place to start (one wire looks to be a lamp cord). I have absolutely no experience working on vehicles, but I am excited to learn! I'm looking for wiring harness recommendations and extra components that I may need. The truck has been converted to 12V alternator and has a 53 running gear with a 235. Thanks all!

2. Fifthchild

Fifthchild Member

I just finished a complete harness install on my 52 GMC with (I would recommend) relays added on the headlights and horn. Choosing the correct harness and number of circuits will depend on your plans for your restoration. Are you keeping it stock in which case a basic kit would do or are you adding aftermarket equipment such as electric door locks, heated seats or other accessories etc. then the circuit count would go up. Our sponsor here has everything you need to do a complete project. It's not difficult if you take it one step at a time, such as rear tailights, then front/engine then dash.
    Check out this great post from ol'chebby...lays it all out one step at a time.

https://talk.classicparts.com/threads/how-to-wire-an-ad.9536/

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  3. Candy51

Candy51 Member

I plan on keeping it stock so helpful to know. Thanks for the info and link!