Need Identification on part for 1949 Chevy 3600

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by JENNY DAVIS, Dec 25, 2020.

1. JENNY DAVIS

JENNY DAVIS Member

My fiance is trying to find Identification on the part circled in red on the attached pictures.
    Any help much appreciated.
    1949 Chevy 3600 (3/4 ton)

Thanks, Jenny

Attached Files:

2. Bilbo1

Bilbo1 Member

Welcome aboard, Jenny. Sorry, but I can't identify the part in question. I'm sure one of the members will though.

3. JENNY DAVIS

JENNY DAVIS Member

Great, thanks..I appreciate you replying back.

Merry Christmas!!

4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I thought GMC and Chevy brakes were the same in 1949, but I just looked through the GMC Master Parts Book and can't find anything that looks like that. Sorry, but I don't have Chevy parts books.

I'm guessing that the part is from rear brakes, not front, and that it is some kind of link for the parking brake. Here is the picture from the GMC Master Parts Book. A '49 GMC FC-150 should be equivalent to your Chevy 3600.

upload_2020-12-25_22-55-43.png

5. JENNY DAVIS

JENNY DAVIS Member

Hey Bill,

Thanks, for the reply back. Yes, you are correct the part is for the rear brakes, but he's having a hard time finding this part. I will pass this information onto him.

Appreciate your help & input.
    Merry Christmas!

6. coilover

coilover Member

Emergency (or parking) brake transfer link. Also known as an equalizer bar. Do a search for " picture of Huck emergency brake " and it will show that link installed.

7. JENNY DAVIS

JENNY DAVIS Member

Thanks, so much!!
    I'll pass this info along and hopefully, this will help him.
    Lol, I'm just a woman that knows nothing about trucks.

Merry Christmas!

8. JENNY DAVIS

JENNY DAVIS Member

Hey,

Can you tell us where to buy this part from. He has checked Napa and online classic part sites. No luck anywhere. HELP!...please.

9. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Did more parts book looking this morning and I found references to this part in the GMC Master Parts Book after all. It wasn't shown in the rear brake picture, but in a separate parking brake picture. It is group # 4.6575. The part IS different depending on left or right rear brake. Proper name for the parts is "Parking Brake Lever Extension". GM part # 3680957 is for the left side and 3680958 for the right. They are used on Chevy 3600 series and GMC 150 series (both 3/4 ton) trucks only from 1946 through 1952. The drawing below would be of the left (driver's) side brake, which appears to me to be the one you are missing. I'm checking with a couple of sources that have squirreled away some old parts. I'll let you know if I find anything.

upload_2020-12-26_9-32-56.png

10. JENNY DAVIS

JENNY DAVIS Member

Awesome, your the Best!! ❤

He is actually missing the passenger side one (if that's called the right?)

11. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

So he thinks the one he has matches what is shown in the drawing I posted above? I think (but not very well any more :) ) that drawing is of the left (driver's) side, but it looks to me like the piece he has is the mirror image of the drawing.

By the way, I found listings for the parts in a Chevy parts manual online. Chevy calls the parts "Parking Brake Shoe Lever Strut Extension" and does use the same part numbers.

12. JENNY DAVIS

JENNY DAVIS Member

I'm thinking that parts could work on either side maybe by just flipping over for the other side???

13. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

No, they are mirror image of each other.

14. JENNY DAVIS

JENNY DAVIS Member

Okay, thanks.

15. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

A friend who lives nearby has a trailer that he made from the rear half of a '50 GMC 3/4 ton truck years ago. If you and I don't come up with an easier one, he has offered to let me take the piece off of the trailer. We would need to identify for sure which side your guy needs. Let me know if that works.

16. JENNY DAVIS

JENNY DAVIS Member

Awesome, thanks so much!!
    Double checked with my fiance (Jeff) and he said it's the
    Right side (passenger side)

17. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

To me, it really looks like you already have the passenger side part. Has he already assembled the passenger's side brakes and all is well there? Or has the driver's side brakes been completely assembled?

I've flipped the drawing from the parts book to make it look like the right side brake system to me. 4.7050 would be pointing towards the front of the truck in this drawing and in the un-flipped drawing in post number 9 (which I think is the driver's side). The part you are looking for will attach to the forward brake shoe, coming into the hole from behind and with the cotter pin (20.0765) visible instead of behind the brake shoe.

18. JENNY DAVIS

JENNY DAVIS Member

Hi Bill, I'm Jeff Jenny's fiance. The pictures Jenny sent you were from a YouTube video that I took a snapshot of. I have the driver's side assembled and all is good. When I took the passenger side apart the parking brake lever extension was missing. I just bought this truck from a 87 year old farmer that had Jerry rigged alot of things. The lever was there but no extension. Thinking he left it off because he couldn't get the spring on, even had a different spring.

19. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

OK, now I understand. Picture wasn't from your truck. It'll probably be Monday or Tuesday before I can retrieve the part from Kenneth. I'll get the one from the passenger's side.

20. Bilbo1

Bilbo1 Member

Well, Jeff & Jenny, When I first posted that "Someone else on here will probably know", Bill Hanlon was who I suspected! If he gives guidance on something you can pretty much bank on it! Real thorough, and a nice guy as well!

JENNY DAVIS likes this.