Tail light and signal light wiring

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Tailgater, Dec 25, 2006.

1. 54chevtruck

54chevtruck Member

Your Lucky Ken I got watching Barret-Jackson and missed #100 by a bit

2. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Snooze, ya lose!

What can i say?:D

3. 54chevtruck

54chevtruck Member

Nothing Ken don't try to make up for it:( I will be ok may just take awhile Mean while trying to figure out why someone would pay $105k for a 1948 Big A** Buick Roadmaster what a boat this auction on Speed channel is fun to watch:)

4. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

One man's junk is another man's treasure!

I hear you! That's what keeps alot of folks out of this nowadays. When dad and i rebuilt cars and trucks back in the '70s, you could literally rebuild a car for next to nothing. $200 would rebuild a motor, tranny, etc and you could go to a FLAPS and get new parts for all of them. Then, you'd say "If the price of parts keeps going up like this, we'll just have to quit this!" I'm glad that I was part of that back then, I almost puke when Kevin and Kyle say that they bought something for 2 grand, and that just closes the door! I guess i'm living in the past, but damn, i like it!

5. Zig

Zig Member

I remember...

The rebuilt block for my 50 was 500.00 including freight. (250) :(
    Hey Gater- It seems only fair that you should have some input here! Tell us to quit or you have what you needed to know- PLEASE?!:D

6. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

Cost for a show truck

It is kinda sickening to know how much money we'll have in these trucks, but you know it's all worth it to me. I can't put a price tag on the time spent with my dad building this truck. I did get my four link and air suspension the other day. I opened the box that was as tall as I am and looked at all those individually wrapped parts. Almost brought a tear to my eye. I'm getting really excited now. All I need to do now is strip that S-10 and get the frame to my house so I can bolt it all up. I'm going into town in a couple of weeks so maybe it'll get done that weekend. It's not supposed to be a truck building weekend, but more of a surprise party for my monster-in-laws birthday. I'm gonna try and sneak out a while so I can get some QT with the old truck. If I do I'll post pics of the work done.

7. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Quit?

I would never suggest we quit. This thread has legs.
    I started out a thread a while back talking about how much it would cost to fix one of these old gals up and what it would be worth when finished. I think we can all agree we don't do it for the money (understatement). I am just looking forward to sharing this truck with my 12 year old son this summer. As I read through this forum I see a common thread relating to our kids and how we like to work on the trucks with them. Life is a vapor. We, of God forbid, they could be gone in an instant. What price is too much for the memories we are making?
    Besides, these old trucks are just plain cool.
    Gater

8. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Amen to that
    ________
    Mac game

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  9. Boopster

Boopster Member

Had to bring it back up

I had to look long and hard to find this one in the archives, but I did. Here's why...

This thread is about tail light and signal light wiring. Well I installed the Boops rear lights and broke one of the glass lenses (sp) when I droped it from about 2 inches and it hit a bed strip. So I thought, nows a good time to buy the new LED light replacements since I wanted them from the start. Well I called the OTHER parts supplier since CP doesn't carry them and they told me that it is only brake lights, that turning lights are not a part of the LED head. I was talking to a sales persons and am not sure if this is right.

DOes anyone know if the new LED tail lights include the brake/running and turn lights?

Couldn't pass up the opportunity to bring back the longest running thread:D

TB'sD

10. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

You just had to do it, didn't you?

Now we'll have another 8 pages on this thread:D I found a website the other day, quite by mistake, that sold LED bulbs in all of the standard sizes, 1056, 1157, etc. I thought, cool site! But now i can't remember where i saw it:( I'll try to find it and post it because it should solve your problem unless i'm missing something.

11. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  12. Boopster

Boopster Member

Great site

Good find Ken, This is a sure keeper, fairly simple conversion.

Probably convert the whole truck sometime after it is all up and running...

Thanks for the info, keep the good sites coming

TB'sD

13. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Hey Evan,
    Thanks for giving me a reason to revive the record holder of posts. This one goes on forever but you might be able to find some useful info about tail lights if you review.
    Gater

14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

" Forever "........................................

.Just like one of these old trucks when it's left stock.......... :rolleyes:

'Round The Earth @ 50 MPH :D

15. John1001

John1001 Member

Does this wiring utilize a common ground or chassis ground as the negative 12v feed?

16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Holy cow ! this thread is still going ? .

If the turn signal switch only has four wires, you'll need separate lamps for the turn signals, they're not integrated with the brake lights .

I hope everyone here id being SAFE ! .

SWMBO's ex husband's girl friend just died of covid-19 to - day, she'd been in the hospital a few days .

17. John1001

John1001 Member

I found this thread while searching info about the Grote.
    I just need to know if it's necessary to ground the Grote device to the chassis so that I have 12v negative to the lights since the 4 wires do not address or provide for the 12v negative needed to complete the circuit. Thank you.

18. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

All the 4 wire turn signal devices I have seen do not require a separate ground. The lamps do require a grounded socket.

19. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

What Bill aid .

Some of the really old GROTE # 800 turn signal switches want the switch housing grounded but -only- to allow the red indicator bulb in the housing to flash, it has no effect on the operation of the turn signals .

To incorporate the bake lights with the turn signals you need a six wire turn signal switch .

20. Kent F

Kent F Member

All;
    Just found this forum and joined today. Although I have already placed many orders through Classic Parts for my 53 3100. Had Blu for a month and half now. Had to trailer him home, but things keep turning out for the better with each hour I spend in the shop.
    The things I've learned already with this truck, wow!

vwnate1 likes this.