Inexpensive bed repair

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by The Red Truck, Dec 28, 2020.

1. The Red Truck

The Red Truck Member

Thought I'd pay forward, came across an inexpensive bed repair. Forever I've had a piece of diamond plate covering the original weather beat wood. Since I regularly take to Home depot for projects etc I didn't want to go down the rabbit hole of having a "too nice" bed. So one day (while in Homedepot) they had an overage sale on lifeproof interlocking all vinyl flooring and happened to be oak stimulant. So I thought I'd give it a try.

Laid it like flooring over the diamond plate but didn't want it to look like 70's paneling so put bought the ribs and screwed them over the seams direct to the diamond plate with stainless flange screws. My goal was for it, on walk by, to look better than diamond plate that had patinaed. Yet take on the frequent trip to HD. My thinking is that I can replace as necessary or try a different flavor as they wear.

So far after 11 months outside it's held up pretty well, I think the sun will take them out before the weather, but we are in a moderate climate zone.
    IMG_0004s.jpg

Lakeroadster and Chiro like this.
  2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

That's great ~ looks nice and should be easy care to boot .

Keep the ideas coming .

3. Waveski

Waveski Member

Thinking along those lines , and wanting something simple , durable and easy to install - I am looking into synthetic decking , like Fiberon.
    I may even skip the metal strips and space the decking a small fraction of an inch apart for drainage and ease of cleaning.

vwnate1 likes this.
  4. Jetnow1

Jetnow1 Member

Synthetic decking does not have much weight bearing/span distance, Trex for example requires support every 9 inches if used on stairs. Something to think about if it is a working truck.

Lakeroadster and vwnate1 like this.
  5. Waveski

Waveski Member

That's good to know , thank you.
    In the case of my truck , it will be expected to stand up to the rigors of carrying 1 -2 surfboards from my house to the shores of Lake Michigan , a distance of about 3 miles each way.

vwnate1 likes this.
  6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Thanx for the details on Trex .

7. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Very nice ~ I like the rounded bed corners a lot .

Lakeroadster likes this.
  9. Novaman

Novaman Member

29857774-1BAE-4772-8B9F-BEF2CBFBEB05.png 0ADF94B9-3493-445D-83A3-95AF4D265585.png AE6CAA28-B0BE-437B-A51E-380AB6ABF854.png
    Hello, I was in the process of doing mine when I saw this, I’m using pvc boards stained with ink and clear coated. I don’t plan on hauling anything heavy, price about $200

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Pretty neat ! .

Is this PVC board like TREX ? .

TIA,

11. Novaman

Novaman Member

No like trim around doors and windows comes in white only and textured on one side

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

So , how thick is it ? .

TIA,

13. Novaman

Novaman Member

40BE8FBA-0F33-4E90-AF2F-026CE798A877.jpeg It is 3/4” thick, 4 boards are available in correct widths and two can be cut down to be 1/2 a sawblade width narrow to make other 4 boards, the 1/2 sawcut can be hidden under the metal strips, the pieces cut off of 8’ length was used for practice

14. Novaman

Novaman Member

Practice run , videos on YouTube to wood grain pvc , use acetone to get stain to bind with plastic will take considerable abuse without showing white underneath.i work in a box plant so used box ink it didn’t like acetone at all, turned like cottage cheese but color transferred ok 66E6467C-D613-4199-AD0A-0F13DB242511.png

15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Looks nice to me .

16. Novaman

Novaman Member

Thanks Nate

17. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Thank YOU for showing those who still work their trucks or are on a budget, how to make a nice bed without breaking the bank ~ when I was using my '49 3100 series as a daily work horse I had a slab of exterior plywood in the bed.......

Other work rigs had plates of diamond steel or aluminum....

Now I see it's not terribly difficult to have an inexpe$ive yet good looking and hard working bed....

Once again I salute those who share their incredible knowledge here for FREE no less ! .