Just Got 1953 3100

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Keith Elwell, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Keith Elwell

Keith Elwell Member

Just got a 53 3100. It needs total restoration and is missing the engine, transmission, and seat.
    Apparently the 3100 pickups had 216 engines thru 1953 which were babbit engines. I want to keep the truck stock as much as practical but since I’ve got to get an engine anyway I thought I’d try to get a 1954 235 engine that I understand has insert bearings and avoid babbit since it’s so hard to find anyone that can do this engine work anymore. Is this correct?
    The truck is set up for 3 on the tree transmission so I thought I’d try to find one of those and I understand it would fit right up to a 1954 235 engine. Is this correct?
    I have a lead on a seat frame and seat bottom and back for a 1954. Will it fit my 1953?
    Thanks in advance. I’m new to the forum.

Ernest B Way and vwnate1 like this.
  2. coilover

coilover Member

The 54 engine is the best 235 fit. The 58-62 235 is the best engine but takes a water pump relocation kit. Worth it in my opinion and gives thousands of more engines to choose from. You will need a bell housing with the correct frame mount for a 53. Any of the three speeds for torque tube application will work. Seat frames had several slight changes through the years but all will work with a little tweaking. You are correct about it becoming scarce to find ones that pour babbit anymore.

vwnate1 likes this.
  3. Keith Elwell

Keith Elwell Member

I have a lead on a 1955 Chevy Bel-Air 235 and 3 speed transmission he’s asking $400 for that I’ll be looking at tomorrow. My understanding is that will fit motor mounts, radiator, and torque tube drive shaft just fine. Can you confirm?
    I also looked at a 1954 pressurized 235 engine today for $250. But no transmission.

vwnate1 likes this.
  4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I'm pretty sure the '55 transmission used an open drive shaft, not a torque tube.

vwnate1 likes this.
  5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Keith ;

1st thing : congratulations and welcome to the asylum .

For running gear needs, look up older Hot Rod build threads and ASK the Hot Rodder ~ often the running gear is just sitting there unwanted and can often be gotten cheap or free just to be rid of the large, unwieldy cast iron lump .

Some times the entire chassis with running gear still attached is for sale, this makes things *much* easier for you as that will have all the mounts and little fiddly bits you're going to need .

OTOH, a '55 235 with good compression is, IMO, well worth $400 all by itself, be aware the engine may or may not be any good, plenty of these have cracked heads and that can be another $300 to sort out .

Look at the raised casting number on the left side of the cylinder head : if it ends in 848 or 050 those are the best 235/261 cylinder heads ever made, hard to crack .

Don't go taking our new engine all apart ! do a full deep & major tune up and see what you've got first, most of the time they'll run well and might need some light overhaul to stop smoking .

Good luck and keep us posted ! .

Ernest B Way likes this.
  6. Keith Elwell

Keith Elwell Member

Thanks very much for the advice. Sounds solid. I’ll keep you posted.

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

O.K., well and good .

I'm old and well remember these as daily use every where in America .

Even stock they're amazinly good drivers and comfy too so testing it before blowing it apart will help you decide how you want to go with it and keep the interest up during the long time it's apart .

Ernest B Way likes this.