52 GMC Fire Pumper

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Zack Thayer, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Zack Thayer

Zack Thayer Member

Hello I am new to this Forum and new to this truck that I purchased. I am working on getting it running and I assume the engine is like that of a standard 1952 GMC truck? If anyone as information I'll take any and all information I can get. Thanks for the help!

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Check the serial number on the driver's side A pillar. Should be a 3 digit number followed by a 2 digit number, then a letter, then 5 or 6 digits of actual serial number. The first 3 digits are the model. My 3/4 to is a 152. Your fire apparatus will probably be a 28x, 30x or 35x (the x designates wheelbase). The next 2 digits specify engine size. 22 is 228 cubic inches, the size in my truck. Yours may be 22, 24 (248 CI), 27 (270 CI) or 30 (302 CI). The engine can also be identified by the engine serial first 3 digits. You can find the engine serial number here:

upload_2021-3-13_21-40-58.png

I don't want to disparage this forum, but you'll find a lot more GMC information, knowledge and even a fire truck or two over at Login To: OldGMCtrucks.com Discussion Boards You do have to sign up to be able to access the forum there (may take a day or two), but the technical data is available at www.oldgmctrucks.com without signing up.

Tell Rob (the forum meister) I sent you.

Attached Files:

3. Zack Thayer

Zack Thayer Member

Thank you Bill I appreciate your help very much! I will collect that information and I will keep in touch! Thanks Again!

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

That's a great site but don't forget us, we love all things General Motors Corporation .

Resist the urge to take it all apart, these are nearly un - killable and are dead easy to tune up and even when completely worn out will run great once properly maintained and adjusted .

Please post up pictures, we don't care if it's dirty or battered .