Oil is comming out at the back of the engine

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by wokri, Mar 31, 2021.

1. wokri

wokri Member

I've got a question. In my pickup with a 235cui engine, a lot of oil leaks out on the gearbox side. The following similar seals are currently installed: https://bestgasket.com/rear-main-seals/4519S - Rubber Rear Main Seal What do I have to do so that I can change the two seals? Do you have to dismantle the complete engine and the gearbox for this, or is it enough if I remove the oil pan and the two blocks where the seals are located?
    Can someone send me detailed instructions so I know how this works?

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

It's time to look at the shop manual .

Only remove the oil pan for the job however, if the main bearings are worn this can cause endless dripping of oil.....

3. wokri

wokri Member

Hello Nate,
    if the bearings are worn, must i put out the engine to change the bearings?
    Wolfgang

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Well Wokri ;

That all depends upon whom you ask.....

My Chevy dealer training taught me to replace worn out main bearing shells in full pressure engines by loosening all the bearing caps them removing one and inserting a large cotter pin you previously banged with a hammer to deform the loop head into a "T" shape ~ the flattened 'T' pushes the old bearing half shell out as you rotate the crankshaft, you'd want to turn the crankshaft so the end of the bearing shell with the tang on it comes out first .

This used to be part and parcel of routine overhaul service and no, the engine doesn't come out nor did one bore the tapered cylinders unless they exceeded .014" taper (!) .

At the same time you'd replace the rod bearings and touch up the valves, amazingly this made a noisy smoky rattly old engine run like new again and was done by every gas station Mechanic back in the day and not a few Farmers too .

Before you get all excited, take a moment to LOOK at the bearings, main and rod, then decide .

If the engine runs well and doesn't smoke /knock, just leaks a bit of oil out the back, put a diaper on it like you're forced to do with oldtimers in Germany....

If you decide to do this freshen up ask me or look for my older posts, it's all pretty simple, easier IMO than rebuilding an air cooled VW engine .

5. wokri

wokri Member

Hello Nate, you've get an answer how is it.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

4.5.2107:30PST .

Hi Wokri ;

I *think* you just asked me a question....? .

7. wokri

wokri Member

Hello Nate, the engine is dry. I pull down the oil pan and the block of the main bearing and put them together with silicone sealant. Then i filled new oil into the engine and take a new oil with a condition for classic cars, 20W50.
    Wolfgang

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

So all is good now ? .

That's great .

Remember : your old technology engine should be using DIESEL rated multi-vis oils....