De-rusting with muriatic acid

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by coilover, May 16, 2010.

1. roy 1955 chevy

roy 1955 chevy Member

thanks vwnat 1 idint know that they used that on floors to cleain them before they glue the vinieal down . my dad has used the green stuff in a clear bottle . you brush or spray it on meatle it turns black but it also chocks you up . nasty crap . but kill the rust on it track. it a bout $20.00 a quart . but ill try what your talking about . can i mix it with well water and spray it with a pump up sprayer . i have a lot of rust i want to take care of before i patch the old trucks up . like my 1971 checy c-10 has a leak above the wind shild and its rust out bad so im figuring im going to have to pull the wind sheild out to fix the hole . and i have new ruber seal to go back . . and my 1955 chevy 3100 needs floor patch panels weld back in . i have them . it all in time . it a projects .

vwnate1 likes this.
  2. roy 1955 chevy

roy 1955 chevy Member

vwnate1 likes this.
  3. roy 1955 chevy

roy 1955 chevy Member

hi thanks ill try it . i priented up the info on build a tank . if i ued lye . do i have to used gloves before and after removeing parts from the contaner . and dose it put off fumes like gases . to not breave in . it will be out side . but some of this stuff puts off fumes from the bubbles . just want to be safe know dummey . rust can be bad stuff btoo and this would help out on tools thats frozen up . i think its neat . ps the first tranmisshion i seen that had rusted gears in side the caseing was at a trans shop he said it was from heat and rain that made it get moister in it . that sht was nasty ,. too . he just bouth new gears . .

4. roy 1955 chevy

roy 1955 chevy Member

vwnate1 likes this.
  5. Jetnow1

Jetnow1 Member

one thing I have not seen mentioned here is how the fumes from the acid will cause rust to any steel or iron it comes in contact with, keep that stuff far away from your garage, tools, vehicles, etc.

vwnate1 likes this.
  6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Only muriatic acid fumes will do this ~ oxylic and phosphoric acids won't .