'77 stepside

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by 74X4Burb, Sep 1, 2004.

1. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member

lookin at buying a '77 short bed stepside 4x4 1/2 ton with a 400 small block and a 4spd.just wondering what your thoughts are on this, is the 400 a good engine? the body is off a different truck hasent even been bolted down yet.whats the resale value?I know its not gonna handle the icy montana roads all that great.your thoughts or comments appriceated.Thanks.Karl

________
    Drug test

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  2. FI84GMC

FI84GMC Member

Those 70's model pickups are sure tough. If the P/U hasn't been beat it should be in the area of $3-4,000. Tough to tell without seeing it. The 400 engine is a good motor. From my limited experience I have learned that you are not able to bore them out very much due to the thinner cylinder walls. The 400 is basicly a larger bore 350, using the same block. Fuel mileage was not very good on those trucks in those years. But, if it is a factory bore or maybe .30 over it should be just fine. They did run strong!! The 4 speed trannys in those years were quite bullet proof. Granny gear is a very low ratio and works well on trail driving or hard pulling.

One good thing about a 1977 model year is that it shouldn't have any smog control, unless it was a "California truck" which there are a few around. If my memory serves me correctly late 78 and 79 started the emissions equipment being installed. The quickest way to tell is looking at the gas filler neck. In 77 it should be a large filler neck hole which was compatible with the old style "regular gas" pump nozzle.

Anyway, I will shut up now. Good luck with your 77. They are quite tough.

Brian
    Show Low, Arizona

3. eugene68

eugene68 Member

If I remember correctly the 400 is a different block..
    it has siamese cylinders (cylinders actually share walls with the surrounding cylinder) with steam holes drilled in between the cylinders to help cool it...with matching holes drilled in the heads.. the crank main bearings are a different size, and it uses a externaly balanced harmonic balancer, and a different flywheel. the outer dimensions of the block are all the same, but it only has 2 freeze plugs on the sides of the motor. Since these motors use a longer rod/crank they are real torque monsters.There biggest weak spot is the crankshaft.. they are famous for breaking cranks or throwing rods.. they do not like a lot of r.p.m....
    if you don't mind paying for the gas and keeping the rpm within reason they are a good motor...
    they are great trucks love mine..
    Eugene

4. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member

Thanks guys! the guy that has it is a friend of mine,only wants $1,300 for it! it needs to be put back together is all. comes with enough parts to build 2 trucks.anyways thanks.Karl

________
    Herbal Health

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  5. Frankc

Frankc Member

Hi Karl,

This truck sounds like a big project. One of the hardest things to do is put a truck back together that some one els has taken apart.

My question to you is, Do you want to stay friends with your friend. If so don't get this truck. Run as fast as you can.

Frank:)