Help Identifying Brakes/Installing Parking Brake

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Andrew Bahnsen, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Andrew Bahnsen

Andrew Bahnsen Member

Hi There!

I have just purchased a 1949 3100 and am in the process of making everything work properly. There is currently no functioning parking brake and I am hoping someone out there can help me make it work.

I initially bought this emergency brake cable Emergency Brake Cable, 1/2 Ton, Takes 2 (47-50 Uses Your End) and then shortly there after realized my axle and brakes are not stock. See below. 20210718_175302.jpg 20210719_163218.jpg
    20210719_163227.jpg

So if anyone out there knows how to attach the cable (if possible) to the brake from the hole on the back of the drum, or parts that I'll need to do so, it would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Andrew

vwnate1 likes this.
  2. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Your brakes have been converted to Self adjusting Bendix type. They do not have the ability to connect an emergency brake cable. [​IMG] this is an example of a cable that would be used with the correct Bendix brake. The ends have an over size collar - insert thru the backing plate and have a retainer clip to prevent them backing out. The cable spring attachment end connects to the actuating lever. I will try and find a picture of the correct Bendix Brake setup that will allow you to use the original emergency ( actually a parking brake) brake set up. Do you still have the original parking brake pedal and under chassis cross bar and the brake cable mounting brackets on the frame rails?

vwnate1 likes this.
  3. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Andrew here is a picture of (a rusty) I believe 54 bendix assy showing the park cable attached to the actuating arm. This is what you will need to use the original park brake with upgraded bendix brakes. The original truck came with Huck brakes and parts for those are not so easy to find whereas the bendix stuff is available at various sources including our sponsor here. The cables you purchased wont work so you will need to buy new cables.
    upload_2021-8-9_21-6-38.jpeg upload_2021-8-9_21-6-38.jpeg upload_2021-8-9_21-6-38.jpeg

4. Andrew Bahnsen

Andrew Bahnsen Member

Hi Cmkruse, thank you so much for your reply and help. I do still have the original parking brake pedal and under chassis cross bar and the brake cable mounting brackets. I assumed I'd have to buy a universal electric parking brake but it would be awesome if there was some sort of adapter.

vwnate1 likes this.
  5. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Here is the link for the correct cable. Parking Brake Cable-1/2 Ton-Repro-Classic Chevy Truck Parts (classicparts.com) Part number

71-711. If you are keeping stock and you have all the chassis parts all you would need to do is convert to different Bendix brakes instead of the self adjusters you now have. You would need to change the backing plates over to the type that have the actuating lever and manual adjustment. Its no that difficult. The original pedal and connecting parts are available to some extent. I did this about ten years ago so give a little time to see if I have more pictures or I can take some of my truck so you can see how it all goes together. If you don't have a factory assy manual yet I would suggest you get one they are really handy and show the parking brake in some detail. If you still have Huck brakes on the front you might want to consider changing them over also. Some of the other bolters may chime in and help with finding out what year parts you need. If you need the front how to convert let me know I have a copy of a good How To.
    By the way Question - is your pedal installed and connected to the under chassis connecting rod that goes to the cross shaft?

Craig

vwnate1 likes this.
  6. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Ok Andrew, My Bad. You have the right cables. All you need is the backing plates from a later model 3100. I can't remember right off hand what year the converted to the Bendix system. I do some more research and see what I find. Here are a couple of pictures from my frame and backing plates. If you get 1947-1954 truck Factory Assembly manual you will find a breakdown of the parking brake in section 5 sheet 3.00. IMG_0480[1].JPG IMG_0482[1].JPG IMG_0481[1].JPG IMG_0483[1].JPG IMG_0480[1].JPG

vwnate1 likes this.
  7. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Andrew, in the photos, my cables aren't hooked up yet to the cross shaft. Also my parking brake cable at the backing plate has the bolts installed from the outside as seen in the pictures, It is recommended that the bolts be installed from the inside from some other members. Your choice I guess. I'm leaving mine like they are. Don't for get the dust seals.
    Now for the year that the 3100's started using the Bendix brakes it was in 1951 if I'm not mistaken. So if you can get a set from someone doing a resto mod or disk brake conversion you would be all set. I don't know if what you have can be converted or not. Maybe some one else will chime in and have more information. Start looking in the parts for sale forum or post a want ad in that section.

vwnate1 likes this.
  8. Andrew Bahnsen

Andrew Bahnsen Member

vwnate1 likes this.
  9. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Hi Andrew, The replacement parts you linked to are what you would need to convert from the self adjusting type but I'm not sure if that's all you would need. I seem to recall a spring that goes on the ends of one of the spreader bars. I asked Nate what year the Bendix Brakes where used and he said from 51 to 67 so maybe you have a junk yard around where you could find some of the later backing plates if you need then or maybe just the brake hardware you need. You might post " 51 - 54 Bendix Brake Picture wanted" and some one might have a good pic of the internals so you can see if you can convert yours. Remember to take lots of pictures of your work because down the road you will try and remember what all you did! Ask me how I know!
    Craig

vwnate1 likes this.
  10. coilover

coilover Member

Why mess with a cross shaft to try to connect cave man brakes to space age open rear end when making the whole set up modern is so cheap, easy, and simple. Thread the rod that runs from pedal to cross shaft, install equalizer "banana" on that rod, run cable loop from backing plate on one side to the other and through the equalizer. Valla!!! you now have modern e-brake and a half dozen ancient parts for a trot line. Picture of a 52 3100 on an S10 chassis with the factory AD e-brake pedal/rod hooked to the modern S10 self adjusting brakes. Cost is almost zero.

S10 048.jpg S10 049.jpg

vwnate1 likes this.
  11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

What Evan and Craig said ~ you need the spreader bar and drop arm plus the anti-ratle spring, it's sort of oblong shaped and used to be included in the '51 ~ '67 brake spring kits .

There's also a pivot pin that holds the drop arm (fulcrum) to the traiilng brake shoe .

Quite often you can find a Hot Rodder who has an old axle with brakes on it lying in the grass, I like to buy this sort of thing to get all the proper hardware .

You don't mention where you live, I'm in So. Cal. where the LKQ self service junkyards still get in the occasional 1960's pickup or early 1970's C van.....

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
  12. Craig Shanklin

Craig Shanklin Member

Does anyone know if these are the correct cables that I received from Classic Parts? Not sure how to get them thru the retainer hold down clamp. See photos 69869619655__7C9B5EB1-A37E-4D32-8A4A-CBB4BD7F8E24.jpg IMG_5877.jpg

13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

It looks like you managed to get the cables installed .

The ones you're looking for have a slightly narrower neck that slips into that pinch bracket .

14. Craig Shanklin

Craig Shanklin Member

Thanks Nate, the one's I have were from Classic Parts and they don't seem to have the correct ones. I did find some at The Filling Station.

vwnate1 likes this.
  15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Looking in Rock Auto under 1962 Chevy c/10 pickup I found these :

DORMAN C92240 Info
    Fits Rear Left; w/ 3 Speed Transmission; Cable Length: 70.88 in
    or Rear Right; w/ 3 Speed Transmission; Cable Length: 70.88 in

[​IMG]

$31.89
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Add to Cart[​IMG]

ACDELCO 18P2494 Gold / Professional Info
    Front

[​IMG]

$37.79
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Add to Cart[​IMG]

DORMAN C95325 Info
    Front; Cable Length: 57.76 in

[​IMG]

$50.99
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Add to Cart[​IMG]

RAYBESTOS BC95325 Parking Brake Cable Info
    Front

[​IMG]

$65.79
    Notice the smooth end that slips into the pinch clamp .

I hope this helps .

Your signature doesn't mention your state and town ~ I find I often get more replies when folks see I'm nearby .

I also vastly prefer junkyarding as the OEM parts tend tp be better quality and as long as the cable part isn't frayed it's a simple thing to clean it them soak it in 1" of undiluted antifreeze, that'll ensure it doesn't stick .