Starter swap

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by kks, Aug 4, 2021.

1. kks

kks Member

Went to start my 54 3100 and the starter began smoking and truck wouldn't start. Time for a new starter I assume. Or could this be another issue? Any videos out there to show how to replace a starter.
    Thanks

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Not much to swapping the starter. Is it a "stomp starter" or does it have a solenoid?

vwnate1 likes this.
  3. coilover

coilover Member

Remove either cable from batter to prevent sparking.
    Remove battery cable and smaller wire from starter---takes 5/8 wrench if original.
    Remove two starter mounting bolts---they make a special curved starter wrench BUT you can use a regular wrench to just move the bolt and nut a tiny bit then make a short (3") open end with the the jaws ground away for clearance. Many have both a bolt and a stud with nut. If two bolts hold weight off starter to remove second bolt as it will fall and chip the floor.

vwnate1 likes this.
  4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

For safety's sake, remove the negative cable from the battery, not the positive. Why? Because when your wrench touches ground while you are loosening the negative cable nothing happens.

Assuming a stomp starter, disconnect the stomp linkage from the starter at this point before you loosen the bolts holding the starter to the engine.
    upload_2021-8-5_7-10-50.png
    Then run a 1/4" rope through that same hole and tie it off to the hood hinge. That way when you drop the starter it won't chip the floor. Also helps when putting the starter back in.

Evan is right about one of the bolts being hard to get out. You can do it with a regular open end wrench, but it is 1/12 of a turn at a time. Move the wrench a little, turn the wrench over, move the wrench a little, turn the wrench over, rinse and repeat .......

If I remember correctly (it was many years ago on Kens 50) it was easier to take out the hard to turn bolt first.

vwnate1 likes this.
  5. coilover

coilover Member

Forgot about the stomp starter link; been many years since an AD or TF truck has left the shop with anything but an LS. Did have a 56 GMC owner that wanted a high performance 6 cylinder so we put a 300 Ford (12 port head, 7 main bearings) into it. He returned a couple years later and got an LS.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Well ;

Hereabouts the pedal starters are still popular and very much in demand .

I have a couple, maybe one 6 and one 12 volts I took off running trucks 35 years ago .

7. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I was up at the road in front of my home loading some brush into my '52 yesterday when my down-the-road neighbor stopped buy to show me his brand new Jeep diesel 4 door pickup. Of course it had all the options, maybe even a combination power nose blower/butt wiper. But the one that he was most tickled with was a floor mounted starter button. He sure was disappointed when I showed him my stomp starter.

vwnate1 likes this.