E brake

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Mathias Mäkynen, Apr 8, 2021.

1. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

No idea of what vehicle your rear axle and brake came from? Can't ask the previous owner or builder?

2. Mathias Mäkynen

Mathias Mäkynen Member

No idea at all, I bought the car from a dealer who doesn’t know. It’s been shipped from Missouri all the way to north of Sweden.
    I can try to write to the dealer again and hopefully he knows who did rebuild the car

3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

You are way beyond my knowledge. If I were presented with this problem I would start with identifying the what make, model and year complete the rear axle was from, then looking for a Master Parts Book for that car online to determine what parts are needed. Google is your friend. Try searches like "gm 10 bolt casting numbers" and "gm 10 bolt identification".

4. coilover

coilover Member

It is a 10 bolt rear end with the 8.5 inch ring gear, most likely from the 70's. If the spring saddles are welded to the bottom of the axle tubes or moved inward/outward but show no signs of brackets ever being welded to the top, front, or sides then it is from a Camaro, Firebird, or Trans Am. If welds have been cut and ground in positions other than the bottom of the axle tubes then the unit is from a mid size GM car like a Chevelle, Cutlass, Buick, or Pontiac. In addition to the transfer bar you need the flat compression springs that fit over the end of the bar. For this type rear end an easy way to connect the pull cable from the E-brake pedal is to cut and thread the factory rod and put an equalizer on it. A "loop" of cable is then run from one backing plate through the equalizer to the other backing plate. Overhead door cable is ideal for this. This duplicates what was used from the factory for more than half a century.
    Factory rod cut, threaded, and equalizer installed:

S10 048.jpg

5. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

The calvary has arrived! Thanks Evan.

6. Mathias Mäkynen

Mathias Mäkynen Member

great! Thank you so much! I will have an closer look tomorrow. And with my bad English it will take some time to translate all that text :)

inside the drum, is it this parts that I need? (Added pic) 5F607362-6C46-4590-A22A-7653E967716B.jpeg

7. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Those, the cable that hooks to the bottom part and something to pull the cable.

8. ShowPhil

ShowPhil Member

Link bar & spring in above photo seems to be missing....

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

A good writeup .

Looks like Bendix brakes to me .

The initial photos looks like it was taken off the driver's side perhaps ? .

10. Andrew Bahnsen

Andrew Bahnsen Member

Hello Mathias, I believe I am in the same situation as you. I have a 1949 Chevy 3100 but believe i have a 1973ish Chevy Blazer Axle (maybe?). I too am missing the brake components to connect the parking cable inside of the brake drum. Were you able to identify the parts needed to make this work?

vwnate1 likes this.
  11. Mathias Mäkynen

Mathias Mäkynen Member

Hi!
    yes I did find the missing parts, it was the link bar, spring and the arm that connects to the wire inside the drum. (All parts in the picture in earlier post)
    It was hard to find the right parts, I did google every GM brake setup with 9.5” drums until I was quite sure, then try to find all parts in Sweden was not that easy.
    the parts that I did use was used on camaro 1967-1981

Then to operate the brake I used an electric parking brake that I found on eBay. wery easy to install and looks great with just a small button inside the car.

Attached Files:

vwnate1 likes this.
  12. Andrew Bahnsen

Andrew Bahnsen Member

Would you mind posting a link of the website where you got the link bar, spring arm, and electric parking brake please?

vwnate1 likes this.
  13. Mathias Mäkynen

Mathias Mäkynen Member

Of course, anything to help.

First link is right side, second is the left side.

It’s about 60$ for each side.

Then it’s the same touch power emergency brake I bought

arm och gaffel, parkeringsbroms, höger - Dalhems

arm och gaffel, parkeringsbroms vänster - Dalhems

1 Touch Power Remote Mount Emergency Brake Kit w/ 8' Rear Brake Cable Ford Chevy | eBay

vwnate1 likes this.
  14. Greenhornet

Greenhornet Member

I also have a 1949 Chevy 3100 with the missing emergency brake spreader bar. Recently bought this truck and am going through all the systems and found this. Can't believe there are so many vehicles missing this part. Any idea where I can find it in USA

15. Andrew Bahnsen

Andrew Bahnsen Member

16. Greenhornet

Greenhornet Member

Thanks Andrew, I have talked to a number of venders and they all say the part is no longer being made. I have to make one or find one in a salvage yard.

17. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]Oops ~ big image .

I found the park brake strut and special springs at Rock Auto . Com under 1972 Chevelle, still looking for the actuating arm.....

18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

19. Greenhornet

Greenhornet Member

20. Greenhornet

Greenhornet Member

Thanks, The one I need is a rod that connects to the front brake pad and has a fork on the back that engages the rear pad. Chevs of the 40's says they are no longer making it. I think I will try to fab one.
    Regards
    Greenhornet