Milkshake in radiator

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Techniques NC, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Techniques NC

Techniques NC Member

I have a 54 Chevy 210 sedan. It has a 230 out of a 66 chenille with manual transmission. Wife was driving it on Sunday says she noticed a creamy substance on the bumper. She drove home about 2.5 miles parked it in the yard. When I opened the hood I noticed oil dipstick was not seated and there was oil on the hood. I notice the milk shake around the radiator cap. After the car cooled I opened the cap and it was all creamy and thick.

I believe it to be a head gasket. I checked the oil levels and it was low. But no cream on the dipstick. Anyone have any idea other than a head gasket.

2. VAL GONZALES

VAL GONZALES Member

Yes, more than likely it is the head gasket. Other than maybe accidentally putting in something other than water and antifreeze there is nothing else it could be. If it's overheating it is more likely the head gasket. If water is getting to cylinder it will smoke a lot of white smoke out the tail pipe. Cylinder pressure pushing oil into the water jackets from a torn gasket hence overheating and contaminating water. It doesn't always mean water will be in the oil. Although, it is the most common sign. Cheapest thing to do first is to drain fluid from radiator and engine then flush them out. Making sure it isn't something as simple as contaminated radiator fluid. Drain then run only water to flush it out. If it still getting nasty then it's a gasket. Old I6 engine heads used to warp when overheated and then gasket would give out.

3. Techniques NC

Techniques NC Member

Thank you.