Door handle upgrade?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Mathias Mäkynen, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Mathias Mäkynen

Mathias Mäkynen Member

Hi!

I have a Chevrolet 3100 1947 that need new latches, and one problem has accrued. It’s two different doors, driver-side has the push button handle and passenger side has the older turn down handle

I wonder if it’s possible to upgrade the passenger door to push button handle? Without leaving any holes?

Would be great if that was possible so I can upgrade the latches to the Altman easy latch kit.

Or if anyone knows where to get great latches that is sold separately for each door model?

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Does either door have a vent window?

3. Mathias Mäkynen

Mathias Mäkynen Member

Vent window is only on the door with push button handle

4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

So you have a '52 or later door (push button and vent window) on the driver's side of your 47 cab and a 50 or earlier door (turn down and no vent window) on the passenger's side. Sounds like a Johnny Cash special.

Trique makes latches for both kinds, but they probably don't make a kit with 1 latch for early and 1 for late.

I'm no expert, but I'll bet it isn't just a "bolt on" job to mount the '52 and later door hardware on the older door.

Just a thought: Contact Trique Mfg. directly and see if they would sell you two half-kits.

5. Mathias Mäkynen

Mathias Mäkynen Member

Yeah I think they took what they found when it was rebuilt

Thank you so much, I will contact them. Otherwise I will have to go with stock latches that are sold separately

6. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I have the Altman latches on my 52. Love them.

7. coilover

coilover Member

Trique Latch (Altman) HAS bear claw kits for 47-51 AD's, $350. Worth every penny. 1951 AD's had vent windows with turn down handles, only year.