Alternator

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Andrew Bahnsen, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Andrew Bahnsen

Andrew Bahnsen Member

Hi there.

I have a 1949 3100 5-window with a 283 SBC. The issue I'm having is finding the correct location with enough space for the alternator. There isnt enough room between the driver's side valve covers and wheel well and I have tall valve covers where I cant seem to find tall enough brackets. The passenger's side has the tubes for the heater.

Has anyone else had that issue and found a solution?

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    vwnate1 likes this.
  2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Maybe one of those little bitty Chrysler alternators?

Or a 6 cylinder engine.

vwnate1 likes this.
  3. coilover

coilover Member

A picture of a 1949 3100 5W with tall valve covers, a large alternator, an a-c compressor, power steering pump, and lots of spare room. We make our own mount brackets but you can do a search for sbc high mount alternator bracket and get what you need. Alan Grove raw steel mount brackets are usually the lowest priced. Have you checked our host to see if they offer a bracket?

dan's 49 012.jpg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
    vwnate1 likes this.
  4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Hi Andrew ;

I hope Evans answer solved your problem .

How about more pictures of your '49? .

5. Andrew Bahnsen

Andrew Bahnsen Member

Hi All,

I did as suggested and found a pretty nice bracket from Bill's Hot Rod Co.

Everything fits beautifully now, the only difficult task remaining is finding a v-belt that will fit.

I have attached a picture, please be kind as it's a work in progress. :)

Thank you for you help, I really appreciate it.

Attached Files:

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

What's wrong with the current V-Belt ? .

No worries about how it looks, true Hot Rods are never perfect by nature .

7. Andrew Bahnsen

Andrew Bahnsen Member

It's a 3/8x49 belt. Already hard to find, but I believe I need 3/8x48.5. There is not a ton of play in the bracket to remove slack.

vwnate1 likes this.
  8. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Poorly designed adjustment (with pivot point at 6 o'clock) moves side to side instead of up and down.

vwnate1 likes this.
  9. Andrew Bahnsen

Andrew Bahnsen Member

Bill, what is your issue. Every conversation I've had on this post has been helpful and kind, except for yours. And you've done it twice in the same thread.

10. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I'm usually considered a pretty decent guy Andrew. Maybe I was having a bad day. I was not commenting about you personally, and if you feel so, please accept my apology.

You were looking for an alternator that fits into a small space. Chrysler made one back in the 60s or 70s that was about 2" smaller diameter than the typical GM 10SI alternator.

The bracket system you pictured has the alternator pivot around the 6 o'clock position. There will be very little difference in belt length over the full adjustment of the alternator position. If the alternator pivoted around the 9 o'clock position, there would be lots more belt length adjustment.

vwnate1 likes this.
  11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Andrew ;

From a Mechanic's viewpoint, that looks like a new drive belt and is in and working, in due time it will stretch and expand a bit so why not stick with the current size ? .

12. coilover

coilover Member

Bill is right about the bracket design. Take another look at the one we made for a 49 with tall valve covers. The alternator is mounted at the 3:00 o'clock so any adjustment directly raises or lowers the alternator and makes huge belt adjustment. Look, listen, and learn.

vwnate1 likes this.
  13. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Andrew,
    If I may, can I offer you a tidbit of advice?

When you come to a Forum (undoubtedly to gain information for a project which is the main subject of said forum), you will see many contributors, and the opinions/advice/information they post. When you see contributors offering advice in your thread like Bill Hanlon (member since 2002, over 2,500 posts), Coilover (member since 2005, over 2500 posts), and Vwnate1 (member since 2000, over 11 THOUSAND posts), you should consider the advice of significant value.

Those 3 guys aren't just posting pics of their own truck over and over. They are here for the love of (in this case) ALL the AD trucks, not just their own. Heck, I am not sure vwnate1 even HAS an AD truck anymore, but he is ALWAYS here to offer sound advice. My guess is EVERY person who has posted a question regarding their own AD truck has benefited from these 3 guys. There are many, many more who give sound advice on this forum, I only mentioned the 3 who answered your call.

I have "only" been here for 15 years or so. The information I have gained from just these 3 guys is immeasurable.

Good luck with your truck.
    Mike

14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Um ;

Be aware the Nate's 'advice' is from many decades of working on and with these fine rigs when they littered America and were just basic old clapped out working trucks .

Your V-8 alternator needs deserve a good solution, I'm oriented towards i6 powered rigs that get driven and used, not a lot of go fast help from me....

I echo the feeling that Evan, Russ, Bill and others whom I'm too lazy to remember names of, all have fancier skills than do I .

My advice will certainly always get or keep you going, it may not impress everyone so remember : it's FREE and worth far less than you paid for it .