Rear Suspension - 49 GMC 100

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by FineFirewood, Nov 5, 2021.

1. FineFirewood

FineFirewood Member

Hello all. Looking for some help with this rear suspension on a recently acquired 49 GMC 100. I've never seen anything like it, and I've looked at the Chevy manuals to no avail. I'm leaning towards some crazy aftermarket stuff, especially with the coilover rear shocks, but the "C"-shaped overload spring also has me puzzled.

Anyone see anything like this before?

Thanks.

Mike RearSprings.jpg Arrival.jpg

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Welcome to the forum.

I just looked through the 1939-53 GMC Master Parts Book. The 100 series truck was standard from the factory with an 8 leaf rear spring and could be bought with an optional 9 leaf spring. The "helper" springs were only offered on 3/4 ton (150 series) and up and looked nothing like what is on the rear of your truck. Must be aftermarket, including the coil-overs.

If you are going to depend on forums for advice, I'd recommend signing up over at OldGMCtrucks.com. It will take a couple of days for Rob to get you signed up. Tell him I sent you and it'll probably take a week. A lot of GMC specific knowledge over there.

3. FineFirewood

FineFirewood Member

Thanks for the insight. I kinda figured it was an aftermarket addition. It is a 1/2 ton based on the 6-lug axles.

And thank you for directing me to the OldGMCtrucks site. I've signed up and will comb over that site for more info as I go forward with the build.

Appreciate everything.

Mike

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Hi Mike ;

As Bill said, those are the original 8 leaf springs, someone added two helpers, tube typ and the 'C' shaped one .