Still Looking for a Spare Tire Carrier

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by cmkruse, Nov 15, 2021.

1. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Well I could use some help finding one of these originals for my 49 Panel Truck. Chevs of the 40's has a listing but its not available and our host doesn't list one either so a repop is out and I never see one listed in the for sale forum and evil bay hasn't had a listing either. So if anyone knows where I can come across one of these I'd appreciate the lead.

Thanks
    Craig

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

You're looking for the slide out typ ? .

3. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Yep, the one that slides down and straight out the rear end.

Attached Files:

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I thought you'd bought a repor one, I'm no longer following the vintage parts scene .

I bet Joe Mendoza can hook you up, might be more affordable if you buy a rusty one and clean it your own self .

5. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Nope, been looking for a while and haven't had any luck. Chevs of the forty's had been collecting names for those interested buy I talked to Drew over there and he said the people that were doing the repop had just disappeared. Go figure!. Thought you might like to know that with your help over the last 15 years I am almost ready to put the body back on the chassis as soon as I finish some paint issues.

Attached Files:

vwnate1 likes this.
  6. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Hey Nate, I forgot Joe's member name. Is it deadzone?

vwnate1 likes this.
  7. Robs52trk

Robs52trk Member

Have you tried any FB pages

vwnate1 likes this.
  8. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

No I haven't. I'm on facebook but don't go there much. Do you know of a page that is for parts?

vwnate1 likes this.
  9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Joe Mendoza prefers to go by Mothertrucker .

Facebook is a very bad place indeed, avoid it if you can, don't complain later when it turns your life inside out .

I just learned of a place called 'offerup ' ~ as I'm in California I network, go to swap meets, car shows, cruiseins so on and so forth . I also chat up random folks I meet in the street, most are always interested in telling me about their old vehicle .

I once got a spare tire left rear fender off a '53 Advance Design cheaply because the young buck who owned it only cared about making it a low rider they way the other low riders in his neighborhood told him it should be .

I get a lot of parts and tools etcetera from folks who don't know what they're for or don't care .

To reach their own .

I KNOW there's a complete slide out spare tire carrier out there for you, maybe 1/2 submerged in a remote swamp.....

Keep beating those bushes, at this time of year most folks are $trapped for ca$h and so want to sell off things .

? Dd you ask Joe ? . be sure to get the complete thing, many will say 'yes' and then only send you the part bolted to the chassis .

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

"Thought you might like to know that with your help over the last 15 years I am almost ready to put the body back on the chassis as soon as I finish some paint issues." .

Well, THANK YOU ! .

Just remember : I offer real world advice that's at least 40 years out of date so please triple check with others before going down my rabbit hole ! .

I can help you have a good running an fun to drive reliable farm truck / jalopy / junkyard reject that will work hard and wheeze & rattle it's way across America at 55 MPH or so but many won't like it .

I'm looking forward to seeing the paint ! #smile# .

I wish I could find someone (ANYONE) who's honest and competent and will finish up my 1969 C/10 shortie stepper, I may have to sell it on in another few years ~ right now I'm using a dreaded Brand 'F' pickup (I know, don't hate me) and loving it....

I'd still rather be listening to 6 cylinder clatter, the TH350 whine and smell the oil out the exhaust of my Chevrolet light duty pickup truck as I rattle across the Mojave Desert wioth my tailgate chains going "Jingle, Jangle Jingle" but life has a was of sneaking up on one or making one accept responsibility for one's prior actions .

Life remains very good fir me . us indeed, not complaining .

11. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Hi Nate, glad to hear you'uns is doing good. I'll see if Mother trucker can help me out. I'll keep beating the bushes but here on the east coast we don't have as many resources as you guys. I was hoping to make it to Turkey Rod Run in Daytona but my wife decided to go and break her hip so I'm babysitting SWMBO. I'm down for truck work so that's why I thought I'd try and find the elusive spare carrier once again.

Thanks
    Craig

vwnate1 likes this.
  12. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Hey Nate, sent Joe a PM, I think. I sent it to DeadZoneTruckin as I couldn't find Mothertrucker in the member list and I saw a post from DZT that read like it was from Joe so I don't know if I got it right or not but will wait and hope to hear from him.

vwnate1 likes this.
  13. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Yep ;

That's Joe, give him time as he's a busy man .

Take really good care of S.W.M.B.O. ! in years go past being over 50 and breaking a hip meant death within 1 year #eek# .

When I was in high school my GF's 50+ year old (& RED HOT just like her daughter) Russian mother was hit by a car crossing the street, she was drunk and that's prolly what saved her life, she flew 10 feet and bounced on the sidewalk ....

The doctor and her husband thought she'd die but she lived longer than he did .

Anyways, a hard woman is good to find (or something) so take the time to get her healthy ~ the truck will wait .

I'm getting pretty wobbly on my pins too and i don't drink smoke or whatever ~ i think my deafness is why I'm so darn graceless .

I fell yesterday working and my new glasses flew 10' and banged on the concrete .

If ever I vanish from here I'm prolly dead or hurt again .

14. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Hi Nate, sent a PM to Joe and as my luck runs, he's out of them. Sold three this past year and as always, I'm a day late and a dollar short:(. I did get another lead from a forum member so maybe there's still hope:D

vwnate1 likes this.
  15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Never give up hope ! .

I always seem to find what I want by looking where it shouldn't be ~ this means I often find old things in V.G.S. that no one else wants, cheaply .

Remember to try the "WANTED" placard on your back at swap meets & Auto Jumbles ~ almost no one will try this and they're always flabbergasted when I'm offered FREE VEHICLES as well as what I actually want .

16. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Got some good ideas there Nate. Yea, talking it up with the guys at the local get togethers has helped a lot if I need something. This forum and your help have kept me from dumping the whole project. It's been 15 years off and on cause life gets in the way. Now that I have made some progress and can see some light at the end of the tunnel, I started back looking for that one last piece for the panel. Now I want to get it done so my grandkids can drive me around in it and experience what automotive history is all about. :D

17. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Well ya know, I've done this once or twice before...... #rolleyes# .

The trick is to let others know , however you do that .

I hope you install seat belts and that your grand kids enjoy it, I certainly would have as a young boy when it wasn't old #tongue# .

18. Robs52trk

Robs52trk Member

Have you checked with Brothers truck part in corona ca or truck shop in orange ca how about LMC??

vwnate1 likes this.
  19. cmkruse

cmkruse Member

Ive checked all the catalogs and webssites but haven't called directly. I've received a couple of leads from other forum members but haven't heard anything back yet. I have one number to call today so I'll see how it goes.

vwnate1 likes this.
  20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

When beating the bushes one must follow all avenues.....