Gas filler neck hole size 1948

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by jayz63, Jan 13, 2022.

1. jayz63

jayz63 Member

Hello all. I have a 48 chevy 1/2 ton and it has the gas tank under the bed. I had to order new bedside panels and it didn't come with the filler neck hole. Has anyone ever used a large hole punch to cut out the hole or just a hole saw. From what I measured it is 2-7/8" but it does have a lip that protrudes into the bed area. If I were to use a hole saw there wouldn't be a lip but just a hole. Thank you

2. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Hello jayz63,
    While I do not know the diameter of the hole, might I suggest a Dimple Die (of the correct diameter, of course) to create the aforementioned lip?

Mike

3. jayz63

jayz63 Member

Okay thanks. Ill look into that but it seems like I might have to use a hole saw to get the right size.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Beware the hole saw ! it often leaves jagged edges and a poor finish .

I'd suggest a Chassis Punch or 'Dimple Die', these will give you clean , nice holes .

5. jayz63

jayz63 Member

Okay that’s what I was afraid of leaving a jagged edge instead of a punched hole. Have you ever punched out one of these holes.

vwnate1 likes this.
  6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Yes, many times .

Back in my day a 1-1/4" chassis punch co$t about $35 (!) .

Now you can find them cheaply online, it only needs work once, do not use power tools to operate it .

First you need to measure the area to ensure it'll fit then figure out the exact center point and drill a pilot hole then assemble the chassis punch and slowly tighten it until the hole is cut .

I expect Evan or Russ know far more than I about this tool.....

7. jayz63

jayz63 Member

It seems like an easy process but the problem I’m having is locating the correct punch size. The original hole on my bedside is 2-7/8” the filler neck is 2.5” so if I can get a 2-3/4” that should work.

vwnate1 likes this.
  8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

just a quick search : Amazon.com : 2-3/4” punch

Try google and switch up the names chassis punch and so on as well as the spacing of the size numbers .

9. jayz63

jayz63 Member

This forum seems to not have as many active people anymore that’s too bad. Even in the parts for sale section is dated. I was needing some glove door hinges. Unless I can find mine.

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

This seems to be the way of things .

Some years back (1990's) I had an old '49 Chevy 3100 shop truck, I liked it and worked it hard, then Advance Design light duty trucks became cool, hip or whatever and this became a really busy site .