chassis to use

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by BillE, Mar 23, 2014.

1. BillE

BillE Member

I have a 1954 1/2 Chevy panel truck no motor or Trans or rear end or springs . I also have a 1980 Chevy 1/2 ton in good shape with an automatic that I perched as a donor . I have perched a mustang two front end kit. But could use it in a dif rent project. I have skills and a big shop. Should I keep the original frame or swap it out for all the chasses in the 1980?

vwnate1 likes this.
  2. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

full size frame is to wide....

3. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

This question gets asked a lot. I'd keep the original frame and modify it.

vwnate1 likes this.
  4. BillE

BillE Member

The frame in the 1980 is 34 " wide and the panel is 44" wide top of the frame in the panel is 3" lower then the one in the 1980 the spacer blocks under the bead of the panel are 3" could be changed out for rubber pads. the biggish problem I can see is spacing out the running board mounts. Sheet metal mounts in the front could be a challenge.

5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Track width is much too wide, putting the tires sticking out of the fenders.

vwnate1 likes this.
  6. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

yea, what chebby said

vwnate1 likes this.
  7. ccharr

ccharr Member

And it does not look good, similar to a yellow cab going down the road with all four doors open. But to each their own. Read Evans post below, might help.

8. BillE

BillE Member

looks like I have some moor measuring to do. the with in the front looks to be off, but I have no rear end in the panel does someone have the dimension hub to hub on that? I do have some fab skils and can get the track right. www.emersonmotersports.com this is my day time job

9. RustyDog

RustyDog Member

vwnate1 likes this.
  10. BillE

BillE Member

TThanks Rusty Dog that was very helpful. there is only 2 7/8" overall difference in the track it the front hub to hub, Looks like adding an 1 1/2" offset to the front wheels will tack care of it. I can cut that much from the rear axles

11. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

BillE, You might want to re-check your numbers:

1973-'87 Chevy C-10, K-10
    65.8" Front Track Width,
    62.7" Rear Track Width​

1947-'54 Chevy AD 1/2 ton
    59.5" Front Track Width
    60" Rear Track Width​
    1954 vs. 1980
    6.3" difference front :eek:
    2.7" difference rear ​
    Data from: crankshaftcoalition.com Click on "Rearend" and then "Wheelbase, track width, and differential measurements"

Hope that helps clarify.

John

Last edited: May 7, 2014
    vwnate1 likes this.
  12. George Arrospide

George Arrospide Member

new to chat trying to get to forum for rim offsets. Rebuilding 1947 chevy 3800 8 lug 164 mil has firestone tires 007x18 rim guessing 18x7 8 lug 164 mil possibly 3-1/2 offset

13. coilover

coilover Member

1954 frame is two full length steel C-channel rails which the core support, cab, bed, bumpers, running boards, and everything else fits perfect and you want to change it for something that NOTHING fits correct? A frame is really dumb so if it has IFS, IRS or coilovers, 4w disc brakes, gas shocks, anti sway, and Panhard bars that dumb frame won't know if it under a 54 panel or a 2004 Corvette. Why hold a nail when you can just beat your fingers with the hammer? We have done 700hp big block stock frame AD's that have run 15 years with no frame issues or you can 100% box them and run 1500hp and 15" wide tires. You say you have the shop, tools, and skill so go for it but don't don't start the race a lap down.

vwnate1 likes this.