Distributor Replacement Help

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Andrew Bahnsen, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Andrew Bahnsen

Andrew Bahnsen Member

Hi there

I have a 49 3100 with a mid-60's SBC 283. It has be converted to 12v and has a Mallory unilite distributor with vacuum advance. I can tell the guy before me did some sketchy repairs to the distributor internally and it now fails to deliver a spark.

In addition to the unilite distributor, I am running a ignition coil and resistor.

I am wanting to swap it out with something comparable. Does anyone have any good suggestions or tips?

Thanks

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I'm very fond of the stock GM HEI distributors .

I know there are Chinese copies but I get stock ones used and buy new old stock DELCO - REMY caps, rotors, modules etc.

I'm sure others here will know more and better than I .

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I'm not sure what happened, Van had a very good response :

"Getting a stock GM HEI will do wonders for the engine. I had a points system in mine for a while but just a hassle to keep working on especially if you like a little more power. I opted for the HEI. I found a good stock one at the junk yard for $40. Made sure it wasn't all loose and bushings wore out. Got a new module, rotor, cap with coil and wires for it. Put it in and it sounded very solid and responded on take off much better. Later I rebuilt the engine and put in a Pertronix distributor to give it an original look. HEI before Pertonix After pics: "

No pictures but I'm sure you alls get the idea .

Chinese copies are fairly hit or miss quality wise, last time I checked GM's Delco Division still sold brandy new HEI dizzy's but the parts counter boob always wanted to know what year and model you had before admitting they had it in stock .

One of the really good things about
    any HEI ignition (yes, even the basic Pertronix fitted to your original dizzy) is : you can and should, open the spark plug gaps to AT LEAST .040" , that's the minimum I'll run and the amount of added power will surprise you ~ even in that old smoky clattery worn out 283 mill .

Try it, you'll like it .