305 and my starter...still

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by c17hydro1, Feb 26, 2004.

1. c17hydro1

c17hydro1 Member

I put a heat shield wrap on the starter but it still does the same thing. Talked to a guy at a shop and he said it just may be because it's a crappy starter...any ideas? I will be leaving to sicily here this Sat so whatever you guys can come up with, I'll try them when I get back in June. Thanks for the help.....

Go Air Force

2. eugene68

eugene68 Member

It seems that your solonid is overheating. if the starter and solonid checks out to be good, and all your connections are good,clean, and tight, and the wraping of the headers with a thermal tape has not helped, or a heat shield, I have heard of some guys using a Ford type solonid that mounts on the inside fender well. I think amc's use the same set-up. I am not sure if there are any kits around or not, maybe someone else has heard or tried this method before. ( I have heard it from several "old-timers" but I have never tried it myself.

good luck,... hope this helps . anyone else have any ideas????
    eugene68

3. oldpickup

oldpickup Member

the ford trick does work we used to do it to our race cars and farm trucks

4. Big Bodie

Big Bodie Member

You may find this hard to believe, but the wire from the fuse panel goes up thru a connector to the ing. sw. and down from sw. thru connector out thru another connector to sol. on the starter. If you were to measure the voltage at the sol., it would probably read some where around 10.5 VDC. There is a voltage drop thru the ing. sw. and the connectors of about 1.5 to 2 VDC. It don't sound like much but for the sol. it's a bunch. That's why the Ford (YUK) idea of another sol. that takes 12 VDC from the + side of the bat. and uses it to pick the sol. BINGO it works better even when the starter sol. is hot. I have headers on my truck and a new (not re-built) starter that's been on the truck for 8 years with no failures. If you want to install the extra sol. just have your wire that goes to the orignal sol. position and wire it to the pick side (small connectors) of the new extra sol., other side to gnd. the big connectors on the extra sol., one side goes to + side of bat. and the other side goes to the engine sol. position on the starter. Piece of cake to install. :7

5. 84inArk

84inArk Guest

Do you have headers???? if you do or dont then there is a good chance that it is getting heat soaked. Dont fool w/those heat wraps they can come off. I would recomend a mini starter made for header application that is made to handle excessive heat.
    Also it it the original started?