GM (chevy) 1 1/2 ton Model 1433

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by creeker1 mech, Jul 25, 2009.

1. creeker1 mech

creeker1 mech Member

Folks
    Need help finding brakes parts. ID tag states it is a GM Truck model 1433. Believe it to be a 1949 as we have the original owners manual. At least we think it is. Truck has the Chevy Emblem on the front of the hood. Anyway, any books I find do not identify that model.
    Any Ideas?
    Thanks

2. azcarman411

azcarman411 Member

Canadian?

The Canadian trucks had differant model #'s than the US made trucks.

3. creeker1 mech

creeker1 mech Member

Yes

Just found some info on Stovebolt. Says that Canadian model 1433 may be a 3803 in the US. Any idea if that is correct ?

4. creeker1 mech

creeker1 mech Member

Picture

Here's a photo of the old beast in action with a new bed we just made up

Attached Files:

5. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Nice truck, creeker1. I'm pretty sure that what you have there is a 1 ton truck based on the wheels. 1 1/2 ton trucks would have bigger wheels than that.

To verify what year it is, locate the serial number on the truck and it should start with "9" if it is a '49 model.

6. creeker1 mech

creeker1 mech Member

Thanks for the comment. Serial number does start with a 9. Not sure on the rest. Will have to get it as the vehicle is out in the bush. Using it for hauling firewood, etc. Model is a 1433 so I'm having trouble getting parts unless I can come up with some way of equating that to a US Model number. Any ideas there?

7. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

8. booger

booger Member

fine looking bed ! you dont want to get that thing DIRTY ! if you leave it with me i will protect it .:D

9. Fine ‘49

Fine ‘49 Member

Hello fellow AD truck lovers! I am new to the forum and really appreciate the knowledge that is being shared here. I also (with a very lengthy back story) have a 1949 Canadian model 1433 and am wondering if anyone is aware of this, or any other, model having a “plain Jane” dash with a line of gauges instead of the speaker grille/glove box arrangement. I have attached a picture of mine. In my 35+ years of looking I have never seen one without the glove box. Thanks!!

Attached Files:

10. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I'd bet your life that it didn't leave the factory like that. Nice metal work though.

vwnate1 likes this.
  11. Fine ‘49

Fine ‘49 Member

Interesting! As you say, the metal work is so good that I hadn’t even considered that. I will have to dig in behind and see what tell-tales there might be.

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

It's pretty obviously a custom job, looks very well done though .

13. Fine ‘49

Fine ‘49 Member

3323D8E4-444B-48C9-BE63-765EA6EC9E7A.jpeg E3320638-531A-4E7B-B378-CA01DE40C260.jpeg The ironic thing is that I have been considering how much work it would be to cut this dash out and replace it with my original project truck dash, but as you will see from the picture, I don’t think it would be worth it. Looks like no glove box for me… ☹️

vwnate1 likes this.
  14. Chip

Chip Member

Don't they make re-pop dashes? They make almost everything else for the AD. Probably a cheaper way to go as far as good clean metal and having to cut the old dash out anyway.

15. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Well ;

It all depends on what you're going to do :

An actual restoration would be nice and worth the effort to swap dashboards .

If you're going to upgrade the running gear, maybe stick with the custom dash, there are many vintage look gauges that will slip right into those holes.......

Don't forget : A/C is nice if you're not keeping it bone stock .

REMEMBER : YOU are signing the checks so what anyone else thinks isn't important .

DO NOT expect to EVER get your money back out ! .