problems with guages HELP!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by 84gmcdude, Apr 22, 2003.

1. 84gmcdude

84gmcdude Member

i have an 84 gmc and when i turn on the lights at night the guages wont light up and the fuse blows when i put a new one in.also my fuel (dual tanks) temp guages dont work the temp guage is just stuck but the fuel guage work some times but it will just move really far past the full mark and stick and when i hit it, it just goes back to empty it also moves when i go over bumps or go up hills but once i hit another bumb it just goes back down. i really need some help!

thanks

2. missachevy

missachevy Member

RE: problems with guages HELP

check riostat for lights. check wiring to dual tanks

3. 73K20

73K20 Member

RE: problems with guages HELP

Don't know what to tell you about the temp gauge, but the gas gauge sounds like there is a short in the wiring. That is why sometime it pegs out past full. I have no idea how the dual tank gauge is wired but if the problem seems to occur on both tanks not just one then the problem probaly is forward of the switch. You might want to get a shop manaul and trace the gauge wires and check they are in good shape and not rubbing anywhere and grounding out. Good Luck!
    :7

4. tech1

tech1 Member

RE: problems

It might be your printed circut that is going out.

5. 84Scottsdale

84Scottsdale Member

RE: problems with guages HELP!!!!!!

I have and 84 Chevy K-20 with a 350 and dual tanks also. I have problems with my guages also. The gas guage moves sometimes but not alot. But the problem is having a 20 year old truck that the temperature guage is pegged past hot at about 320 degress and won't move. And the oil temperature guage also is usually at 60, and when I put it into gear it goes down a little bit, but is always pegged when i am on the gas. I know that the right amount of oil is in there, but don't know what the problem is. Any help would be appreciated.

6. 84inArk

84inArk Guest

RE: problems with guages HELP!!!!!!

same problem that i had!! there is a bundle of wires that sits on the inner fender on the drivers side. 'bout 6 or so wires.
    check for cracks or fraying. i spent a fortune on fuses before i took the time to trace it down.

as for scottsdale reply, you dont have signal to to sending unit, check 12v.