Turning Rotors

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by greenizgd, Aug 8, 2003.

1. greenizgd

greenizgd Member

Today I took my rotors to my local auto supply to have them turned. The minimum thickness for my rotors are 2.215 inches. My rotors were between 2.309-2.312. The guy told me that he wouldn't touch them. He said they were to thin already. So I went with it and figured I would just buy new rotors for $44 a piece and put my original races and bearing in them (they are in fine condition). From looking at the specs of the replacement rotors, it says nominal thickness is 1.283 inches...which is a couple hundredths thinner than mine.

I thought they would be able to turn off a couple thousandths...I don't know exactly how far they turn them down on each side, but I wanted to see if I should take them to another place to get them turned or if the guy was right about them being too thin. I would apreciate the help.

2. 76454

76454 Member

It also depends on how out of round they are. If they are warped too much, then they would have to take off a lot of metal to straighten them out and then the discs would be too thin. You're better off just replacing them. Thicker rotors can dissapate heat faster which helps you stop faster. I have a 3/4 ton, and I usually just replace the rotors every time. It's a little expensive, but I'd rather have my truck in one piece.

3. greenizgd

greenizgd Member

I was thinking about if they are warped or not, but they seemed fine when I bought the truck...I just thought I would have them done. When the man measured the thickness with the micrometer, he didn't even check anything else...He just said "I'm not even going to touch those" Do you know how much they turn off when they do it?

4. N2TRUX

N2TRUX Member

I would have them checked at another auto parts. I had them pull that crap on me with a set of rotors that had never been turned, and weren't warped. I made he show me the mic reading, and look up the specs. When he knew that he was wrong, he grumbled something, and said he would " see if they will turn", I collected my rotors, told he he had lost a customer and left the building.

This is a common practice at some auto parts. They figure you won't argue, and they will sell you new rotors....

5. JHayman

JHayman Member

That's a load of bull! If the guy knew what he was doing he could have turned those rotors down to .030" of the spec. You're supposed to leave .030" over spec for normal wear with new pads. I know, I'm ASE certified, the guy was just being lazy and figured you didn't know any better. I'd go some where else too.:)

6. 84inArk

84inArk Guest

I have been told no more than 1 time that you can have them turned. For saftey issues...............