Hello, My Name is...

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by RidesWithYah, Jan 10, 2011.

1. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Those are DPO made holes, prolly a rifle rack .

It looks like you got the harmonic balancer done already, in general you install the cover loosely, then the balancer and after it's torqued you go back and tighten all the timing cover bolts, this avoids the need for any special centering tool .

I hope that timing chest cover isn't Chinese....

2. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

Thanks Nate, will have the holes around the rear window filled.

I have not done the front mount swap yet, been kind of bouncing around all over. I will be ditching the chrome cover and replacing with a painted OE one from the 235, assuming it fits. I found an exploded view online showing more bolts under the cover, so I'm thinking the missing one shouldn't be an issue. Will need to rent a puller/installer for the balancer, but the crank is already threaded so that's one thing in my favor.

Chomping at the bit to see something painted Sun Beige so I can make a decision on color, and the body guy is teasing me with pictures of more parts going into primer...

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I doubt a 235 timing cover will fit a GMC 302 .

Maybe go look at the Linlenrs .com site and ask a few questions .

be wary as many kids there who don't know squat .

I don't know much but I know I don't know much so I'm less dangerous .

I imagine the front motor mount bolt holes are quite similar ~ two are inside the engine so drilling and tapping them CAREFULLY is not terribly hard but, you'd be wise to triple check any thing I say, O.K. ? .

4. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

I have seen a couple of posts stating the timing covers / front mounts interchange.
    Here's one:

"The timing cover and timing plates are interchangeable from the 1937 216 to the 1962 235 as well as the 1939 gmc 228 to 1959 fmc 270 and 302. Bottom line... if you have a timing plate from any other 216, 235, 261, 228, 248, pre 1955 270 and 302 gmc motors it will fit on your 58 270 and give you the correct front mount."
    '58 270 in a '53 1/2 ton GMC

5. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Yes, the specified Chevy and GMC timing covers interchange.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Well then, there you go ! .

I told ya to triple check any foolishness I say because apart from tune ups and water pumps etc. I know bupkis about the GMC Inliners .

7. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

Just about time to order my disc brake kit.
    Search function revealed Zig's success with stock 16" wheels & 1/4" spacers.
    I seem to remember a Promo code for forum members with our host, but can't find it in my notes.
    Can anyone remind me what it is?

8. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I don't know if he still makes them, but I got mine from Buffalo Enterprises, Home of the Inline Specialty Shop! 20+ years ago. The guy only operates through the phone and I guess snail-mail.

The thing I liked about this "kit" was that it only included the hand-made parts such as the mounting brackets for the calipers. All other parts (rotors, calipers, lugs, etc) were in a list of common parts available at FLAPS that included exactly what the parts were (front rotors from a '77 Chevy 1/2 ton 4wd, Dorfman part numbers for the lugs, etc.). That way you saved money on the parts AND could find replacements when you needed them. I tried to get part numbers from our host for new seals for their 5 lug disk brake kit and all they were willing to do was sell me a bearing and seal kit for around $100. I didn't need the bearings. I cleaned the old seals really well and found the seal number in tiny print. A pair cost less than $10 at FLAPS.

The kit came with 1/4" spacers for use with stock wheels. I had late 70s GM 4x4 rally wheels on my '57 and didn't need the spacers. Gave them to Zig.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  9. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

Interesting Bill, thanks. I had actually talked to Buffalo about their disc brake kit when I called them to inquire about Nicson headers.
    At that time, he told me that stock 16" wheels would not clear - didn't mention a spacer...
    Are you saying that they should clear with a 1/4" spacer, just like the CPP kit? Those spacers are cheap and easy to find.
    I do like the idea of knowing what the parts are, for easy replacement as needed.
    Would you happen to have a picture of the setup?

10. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Don't have a picture. It was over 20 years ago and the truck was totaled 7+ years ago. The 15" GM 4x4 rally wheels cleared with no spacers. Zig needed the spacers for his truck. I don't know what kind of wheels he had.

11. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

Here is the best that PPG knows to recreate 1951 "Sun Beige".
    I told the wife it's "Cappucino" and the kids it's "Chocolate Milkshake".
    My son pointed out it's a dead match to the walls in our sunroom, and he's not wrong.
    My wife said it's great for walls, but not for trucks.
    They both vote Red.
    I said "there are so many red trucks".
    My son said "Yes, because Red looks good on trucks."

Body guy says it looks different in person than the photo, so I'm going to go see it firsthand on Monday.
    60755326737__15D21992-D281-4395-989C-0C8D4DAE662F.jpeg IMG_2118.jpg

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE : paint color choices

I used to think only stock original colors would do and for my own rigs pretty much agree but, whomever gets to pay gets to choose the color in the end .

Your kids can re spray it after you're dead and I'm sure SWMBO will allow you to stop sleeping on the sofa sooner than later #rolleyes# .

I like that color .

RidesWithYah likes this.
  13. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

Been away for a while due to life and the plague,
    but back at it.
    Headed to the blaster tomorrow...
    IMG_2631.jpg

vwnate1 likes this.
  14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Are you SURE this is a truck frame ? .

I don't see any bends......

15. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

Well, it’s what has been under the truck since 1986 - what bends am I supposed to have? CD26BF7E-C4C3-4305-A234-1E2F1D6BAF7F.jpeg 38DC748F-8486-409C-928D-A4293FEBFC83.jpeg

vwnate1 likes this.
  16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

What are you "supposed to have" ?? .

You know, bends in the frame horns from plowing or hitting trees , ,bridge abutments if the DPO was a drunk , TRUCK BENDS knowhutimean ? #rolleyes# .

17. 52wasp

52wasp Member

It's FUNNY Nate, when you said "bends", I knew exactly what you meant. Friends of mine have trucks so clean, they have a carpet in the bed. Me? Dirt, wood-chips, grease stains, dried deer-blood, dents, and scratches down to the metal. No frame bends yet, but the truck is only 4 years old.

vwnate1 likes this.
  18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Well ;

To me a truck is a tool .

A tool I like very much and want to keep clean and tidy but not afraid to use it .

I am greatly disappointed by all the scratches I've managed to put on my new truck but that's life .

19. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

20. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

? Would you like to borrow my truck for a while ? .

I'd love to have this done to my truck, it's only twenty years old yet because of poor rust proofing it has surface rust over most of the frame .