Fuel gauge sending unit impedance

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Chiro, Oct 12, 2022.

1. Chiro

Chiro Member

The sender is listed as 30 ohms in our hosts's catalog. That means nothing to me as no range is listed. Anybody know the range of impedance for the sender? I'm going to use it in my Hot Rod and want to find an aftermarket gauge that matches the impedance of the sender. Don't ask me why. It's a very long story.:rolleyes:
    Thanks,
    Andy

vwnate1 likes this.
  2. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

I would be willing to bet it's 0-30, which was the old GM standard.
    Also, there are electronics now that let you convert the signal from any sender to match any gage -
    MeterMatch Fuel Gauge Interface Module

vwnate1 likes this.
  3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Yes, 0 ohms to ground when empty, 30 ohms to ground when full.

vwnate1 likes this.
  4. 52wasp

52wasp Member

You guys are Great!

Chiro and vwnate1 like this.
  5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

The really cool thing is : the sender and it's gasket are standard Stewart Warner , available in 0~30 30~60 and 60~90 Ohm versions .

6. Chiro

Chiro Member

^^^True Nate, which is why I'm using it in my aftermarket tank in the hot rod. Most importantly though is it has the integrated fuel pickup with a sock type filter on the end of it. Somehow, somewhere along the way, the fuel pickup built into the tank (which is just an open tube end inside the tank and is NOT removable) has been getting randomly blocked by some kind of unfindable foreign body in the tank (a friend of mine jokingly says its a high heel shoe from a Barbie Doll. Lol). It's been driving me absolutely batty for over a year. I have eliminated all other possible causes with much head scratching and colorful language. The bolt pattern on the truck sender/fuel pickup needed to have a couple holes elongated in order to match up to the flange on the tank (that's hot rodding), but it's in place and apparently has solved the issue. I've taken it for several long drives and it has not stalled out on me since. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though. I ordered up the above mentioned "Meter Match" unit yesterday from it's original manufacturer so I can get a working fuel gauge back in the car. Driving without knowing how much fuel you have is a bit nerve wracking.
    Andy

vwnate1 likes this.
  7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Good deal Andy ! .

It's not really possible for me to remove a fuel tank, invert it and shake the begeebers out of it like I used to do, it seems there was always some little thing, a bot of cloth or plastic that caused problems but couldn't *quite* been seen not heard clattering 'round in there because it was too light .